Ah yes...the compensation issue...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Goatman, Feb 25, 2004.

1. The soldier

2. His supervisor

3. God

0 vote(s)
  4. The German Rail Authority

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Never mind the bollocks,it's about THE MONEY! these are non-urban legend, genuine cases according to the MoD's chief Claims ocifer.

Serious point: the H&S police are doing their job,even though it sometimes seems completely barking and life constraining to have to listen.

from MoD defencenet today (for those who do not have access)

A soldier loading vehicles into railway wagons in Germany was ordered on to the roof of a wagon. He received a huge electric shock from an overhead power cable. He sustained 60 per cent burns, damage to his skull, electrocution cataracts and had to have a leg amputated. Paralysed from the neck down, he will require 24-hour care for the rest of his life. He was awarded £3.675 million in damages.

A soldier claimed compensation for serious head injuries sustained when he fell from a Army lorry while trying to “windsurf” on the tailgate on the way back to camp after a night out in a local town. He sued the MoD for failing to enforce discipline. The MoD was found to be 25 per cent liable and he received £75,000 in compensation.

A member of a Territorial Army motor-cycle display team was paralysed during the course of a public display. The case was settled for £320,000.

Ridiculous but true
    A parrot, startled by a low-flying military aircraft, fell off a perch and broke both legs. The parrot’s owner sued the MoD and received compensation to cover veterinary bills including the cost of two splints.

Gordon Bennett :roll:
  2. I can't believe they paid out for the second case, what a tw@t. we've all done sililarly stupid things (me more than most), but i'm sure i'm not alone in thinking that if i come a cropper doing something daft it's my own stupid fault.
  3. the first case is correct as he was ordered to go on top without consideration for his safety

the third one should be covered by liabilty insurance as it was a risky job taking part in a display team, to do with potential to cause severe injuries so the insurance cover should reflect this.

the second one my answer is what a mong!
  4. Id have him tailed by two MPs for the rest of his military career, just to enforce discipline of course not to leave him with no friends or anything as who would want to go drinking with him while hes got two MPs in tow :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  5. msr

msr LE

I'm not an H&S nazi, but there is a duty of care issue here in example no.2.

Lads out on the town, it is not reasonable to expect that some may be under the influence of a few shandies?

Just like sharkwatch, there should be someone sober in the back of the truck to keep an eye on their mates.

My guess is that it why the MOD was only 25% to bame.

6. Case A, the soldier and supervisor would have to be technical or very savvy laymen to know that with high voltages as used for trains and in some ships, physical contact with uninsulated cables isn't necessary for electrocution. The arc will leap tall buildings............ In ships generating high voltages, everybody knows the dangers and the precautions for the engineering department who get closest to it, have precautions. Switch it off before going near it!

So the supervisor may have been ignorant but may not have been reckless in respect of the power cable (unless the soldier could actually touch it) .

Either way, poor bastard :cry: and even without anyone to blame, he's not getting compensation, but the cost of care. Not the same thing.

Case B. Knob! Gone are the days when superiors routinely intervened to enforce discipline in p1ssed up and outright foolish Matelots/Booties/Pongoes ( Crabs are better behaved) ashore/outside barracks. It'd be called "harassment" or "exceeding your authority as the order is not Service related" or some such cr@p, or the grown up would be offered out. :evil: (Okay, here he was arrseholed and in an Army lorry, so it's Service related).

But if you do jump in, and some "PC running scared of legislation" boss responds to the complaint of the disciplined junior by giving you