Agnostic - but willing to change my views - convince me!

_Artemis_ said:
The problem with believing in a god because you might get some nice stuff when you die is that you have to sacrifice an awful lot of nice stuff that you definitely have right now. Peronally, I'd rather bank on having a good life now and possibly have to deal with the absence of god when I die, rather than constrain myself living according to the dictates of a bunch of long-dead lunatics. So don't go to church. Stay in and read The God Delusion (by His Holiness Richard of Dawkins) instead.

Edited to add: in any case, if you've been "good", then any god worth her salt wouldn't punish you just because you didn't believe in her. Boycott the old testament idea that god is as much of a petty, vindictive cunt as you or I :D
another good answer......hmmm...any more?

It's a question that I've also been trying to find a solution to since childhood. Even to the extent of trying to find a religion that really suited me.

The first action was to weed out those that didn't suit my life style.

I like bacon sarnies, so that was Islam, Judaism and Buddhism out of the window.

I'm not averse to beef, so Hinduism and other Asian religions also fell by the wayside.

As I got a bit older, I discovered the health benefits of alcohol - which put the mockers on Methodism.

Then there was the impression created by the leaders of the various churches - how can the people at the top justify creaming off the profits to spend on expensive finery? And churches, temples etc., what's the point? So that's just about everything else struck off. (The Society of Friends, oddly enough, remained an option).

Deciding that there wasn't an existing religion that really suited me (though Paganism was tempting until I discovered that exemption from Church Parade didn't confer a lie in), I decided on agnostic - I wasn't prepared to burn my bridges and turn atheist, just in case.

All of the religions have one thing in common, though. They all have some supreme being - even those that have a multitude of gods still recognise one that's overall boss.

So I decided that I'd have a deity all of my own. I didn't want to label it with any of the already established names, so I merely referred to it as The Force.

Come 1977, Star Wars appeared on the scene. Lo and behold, there was my God and the people who upheld the religion were called Jedi Knights. And they weren't dressed up to the nines, raking in cash from the gullible.

So, can I claim to be one of the original Jedi? There is a passing family resemblance to Yoda.

Talking of bibles,I might just become a Milliganostic, his bible is the only one worth reading.

When you consider that the Bible is full of miracles, it's surprising that there's no photos in it.

I love all those preachers in the states who perform supposed miracles. Mind you I'm still waiting to see someone with a broken bone being repaired. Maybe God's powers are limited. Perhaps ... <sharp intake of breath> it's all fake?

Religion started when primitive people tried to explain the big questions like "Why are we here?"

They did not have the benefit of evolutionary theory and knowledge of the universe and big bang.

So loads of primitive people imagined stuff about how they came to be there. some of them thought there was one god who created the world. Nowadays they are represented by the likes of Christians (including Prots, RCs Methodists, Presbyterians, Mormons, etc), Muslims (There is no god but Allah and Muhammed is his messenger), and Jews. Some imagined multiple gods: Druids, Vikings, Romans (in the old days) and also Hindus etc nowadays. Of course all the gods these people imagined are different to each other.

If there was some deity, or deities, who created the world, then there are a number of questions to be asked:

Who created the deity/ies, and why?
Why did they bother creating the world?
What about the universe?
Why do they want people to worship them?
Why did they want to create heaven and hell (Christian) or similar concepts (the Buddhist idea of reincarnation as higher and loweer beings for instance)
What is the point of creating free will, if all you want is to be worshipped?

I could go on, but really... religion is shoite. Enjoy yourl ife, but at the same time look after the world and try to make sure that the world you hand down to your children is as good as that which you enjoyed.

Amen!

Trick said:
georgieb17 said:
“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”- Stuart Chase
Explain (St Paul? on) the road to damascus then :?
Easy: doesn't follow the normal logical rules because it's a made-up story :)

_Artemis_ said:
Trick said:
georgieb17 said:
“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”- Stuart Chase
Shit I forgot that.
The inconsistenties are all part of the "leap of faith"!

all religion is just a croc of shit, its for people who cant face upto the fact that when they croak thats it, game over, no more, youve had your chance.

sorry but thats it, your weak , you cant handle the fact, keep giving up your sundays and worshiping the wonderful mystic man who will bet there to save you at the end , utter bolloxsl, why not go the full hog and kill loads of people you dont even know if you want to take religion to its extreme.

its utter shite.

Trick said:
_Artemis_ said:
Trick said:
georgieb17 said:
Shit I forgot that.
The inconsistenties are all part of the "leap of faith"!
Yes. It's part of a test. Ignore the dictates of (presumably) god-given reason, evidence and common sense. If you can, winner, you get to go to paradise. If you're smart enough to think that maybe it doesn't quite all add up, you're doomed.

Personally, I'm with Marcus Brigstock on religion. Perhaps the funniest, most incisive take on the subject I've heard: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UY-ZrwFwLQg

Thanks, Artemis, that is quality that is, although I didn't pmsl, spit coffee on my keyboard or even ROFL. However I did thoroughly enjoy the clip, and totally agree with Mr Brigstock.

Good day Artemis. thanks for posting that Marcus Brigstocke clip.

I enjoyed it. It was both funny and clever. I had reluctantly given up

on British comedy........but I see that there is real humour in Old Blighty

yet. :wink:

Edited to say that I based my former attitude on some of the dreadful

TV stuff sent out here. Much of it unwatchable.