"Ageing" medals

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by devexwarrior, Jan 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am about to mount and frame 2 sets of WW1 medals, both BWM and VM. One set are the originals, one a recently acquired repalacement set. Is there an easy way of giving the ultra shiny new ones the patina of age. I don't want to damage them if possible.

over to you fellow arrsers

Also-does anyone have an email address for the regimental assoc that would cover the Lancashire Fusileers?
  2. msr

msr LE

3. Don't try this - its just a bizarre idea

Copper is often aged by dipping it in , wait for it, horse piss.

It corrodes the surface relatively quickly and gives it the green patina that people like so much. (Traditionally, the patina takes several years to develop naturally)

I guess it takes time - but a mild corrosive is probably the best way of aging them?

Say 1 ml ammonia in 1 lit water?

(I'm not about to suggest that you actually piss on your medals, but its just a thought)
  4. addendum: from a 'walt/re-enactment' website

Aging Metal Parts:
    To make new steel or brass parts look old, you can use this formulae:
    (2) oz. Lemon or Lime juice
    (2) oz. Chlorine bleach
    (2) oz. Vinegar
    (1) Tablespoon of salt

Mix well, and immerse parts in the solution for 30 minutes or longer, depending on how much you want to accelerate the oxidization. When you have the desired amount of oxidization, rub with steel wool. You can use some gun bluing or browning to tone the finish, then seal with clear. This formulae works great when aging chicken wire camo baskets.*

* well fck me
  5. Remember to try a tiny bit where it won't be noticed - say on the reverse - before going the whole hog...
  6. DevexWarrior

One of my hobbies is maintaining a collection of Ancient Coins.

When I get asked "How do I clean a coin" I always answer "you dont !"

At the risk of saying the wrong thing I feel that the answer to "how do I age a medal" should also be "you don't"

Some years ago I set up a commemorative frame for my wife that included photos and medals of her late father who saw WW1 service in the Middle East.

The original medals had been stolen many years before so I had to settle for replicas and they were of course bright and shiny but at least they were genuine replicas.

Having said that, I wish you all the best in your endeavours and congratulate you on your wish to pay respect to an old soldier.
  7. A "genuine replica"? Who does one tell them apart from replica replicas?
  8. Imf/Mp

Definition of "Replica":
  9. Amongst the collecting community prepare to have your question treated with a large amount of distrust as it's the sort of thing fakers do.