Ageing (ferociously)

I'm up for hunting poachers.
I remember a documentary from the early 80's (must be that long ago, as I had a tv) about hunting poachers in Zim/Rhodesia (I think). There was no messing around; they ambushed & shot them until they were very sorry indeed. That's proper robust anti poaching action.

Don't bring me into this, you're the one who keeps asking me to turn my webcam on mid game and my isn't it hot out, why not get comfy and cool down with my top off.
BD08469D-D597-4586-A064-9F44BCA373FF.jpeg

6. Don’t just maintain social connections with your own age group: mix across the generations as much as you can. Inter-generational contact has become increasingly difficult, but if we can do it we benefit – and society benefits.

Good advice No6 , just kicked the wife out , what do I do next?

My bold ... get a much younger bird, apparently you are only as old as (the bird) you feel, keeps you young or at least you might die happily on the job as Errol Flynn was supposed to have done, Errol Flynn, warts and all: How the broke Hollywood film star met his end in Vancouver
snip "He arrived at the Vancouver Airport, where a local reporter asked him why he constantly seemed to be surrounded by underage girls. Flynn shot back “because they f**k so good.”
The question had likely been prompted by the presence of Flynn’s girlfriend Beverly Aadland, a 17-year-old dancer he had met two years earlier under the false pretense of wanting to cast her in an upcoming film.

It's perhaps correct to say that 'regimes' of perhaps gentle to moderate activity works well, while diets do not.
I had that argument with my doctor, and reversed diabetes dispite not losing weight

They wanted to see more exercise and a strict diet, I moderated my food intake a little and cut down on my alchol consumption a lot and did more exercise

I got told off for not losing weight significantly, but they can't argue with my health improving

Diets seldom work because you are literally fighting against what your body is preprogrammed to want, exercise is a damn site easier to manage

I still play (too much) Return to Castle Wolfenstein when I'm in the UK. All the other players are younger than me and I think they using big gaming monitors and mice. I'm stuck with a laptop. In Vietnam at the moment and the Mrs has just told me that I spend too much time on Arrse. Can't win.
Just use a 40" HD telly and put it on your desk as close to you as possible without getting in the way of the keyboard, it won't have the vsync or the refresh rate of proper gaming monitor, but it's a cheap option and better than using a tiny laptop screen

Just use a 40" HD telly and put it on your desk as close to you as possible without getting in the way of the keyboard, it won't have the vsync or the refresh rate of proper gaming monitor, but it's a cheap option and better than using a tiny laptop screen
As part of buying some furniture we got a free 32" LCD telly. It sat around for about 4 years in the spare room until my lad sussed he could plug his computer into it. It now sits about 18" away from his nose with him happy as a pig in pooh.

My bold ... get a much younger bird, apparently you are only as old as (the bird) you feel, keeps you young or at least you might die happily on the job as Errol Flynn was supposed to have done, Errol Flynn, warts and all: How the broke Hollywood film star met his end in Vancouver
snip "He arrived at the Vancouver Airport, where a local reporter asked him why he constantly seemed to be surrounded by underage girls. Flynn shot back “because they f**k so good.”
The question had likely been prompted by the presence of Flynn’s girlfriend Beverly Aadland, a 17-year-old dancer he had met two years earlier under the false pretense of wanting to cast her in an upcoming film.
I see loads of that here in the US........fit girlie's and wimmin with someone who looks like their dad, or grand dad in tow. Makes me wonder how attractive I would become if I went to the supermarket in a Ferrari.

ugly

LE
50lb is really rather impressive.
I dropped 4 stone last year, mainly a combination of night shifts and not enough cash or opportunity to drink as heavily as I like.
My appetite is less, I can no longer have porridge for breakfast at 7 and then a good fry up at 10.
I just cant eat it. I drink as much tea as before but almost no coffee, thats a massive change. I can also fit into trousers I haven't worn in 5 years which is nice.
I wonder if it will stay off for good this time?

I dropped 4 stone last year, mainly a combination of night shifts and not enough cash or opportunity to drink as heavily as I like.
My appetite is less, I can no longer have porridge for breakfast at 7 and then a good fry up at 10.
I just cant eat it. I drink as much tea as before but almost no coffee, thats a massive change. I can also fit into trousers I haven't worn in 5 years which is nice.
I wonder if it will stay off for good this time?

Possibly your stomach shrank as fortunately mine did when I was ill 16 years ago. Before that I was very active walking & doing a fair bit of exercise plus in the autumn/winter I was on at least one shoot & went beating on 3 others. I had what could be called a healthy appetite, when I went for a Chinese/Indian meal with my sons I was the one that always finished all the left overs of the various dishes we had ordered. Now my mobility being severely curtailed, if I had carried on eating and drinking the way I did before my illness I would be the size of a house. Fortunately for me I was in hospital for 5 months and 2 things happened, the food was dire and not much of it and I was doing little or no exercise apart from limited physiotherapy, so my stomach seemed to shrink, curtailing my appetite.
I now only have 2 meals a day, a good healthy breakfast, normally porridge, a fruit drink, mainly cranberry, toast, some nuts & dried fruit (dates/figs) & a banana, dinner, with various different fruits such as apples/pears/oranges etc during the day, several mugs of tea, normally with one biscuit. I ensure that I vary the dinner having fish both white & oily, different meats, pasta, salads etc on different days. My drinking is drastically reduced I only have 2 pints of Guinness when I go to my local club twice a week & rarely more than a 1/2 bottle of wine 2 - 3 times a week with my evening meal. My weight has stayed the same since my illness.

ugly

LE
Possibly your stomach shrank as fortunately mine did when I was ill 16 years ago.
I agree, not had it like this before, when I was in Recce a week in an OP and I could barely eat a plate of chips on return to camp, a night on the lash put that right but this time more than a few brews and I'm bloated.

I remember a documentary from the early 80's (must be that long ago, as I had a tv) about hunting poachers in Zim/Rhodesia (I think). There was no messing around; they ambushed & shot them until they were very sorry indeed. That's proper robust anti poaching action.
Oh! How very un-PC, and effective.

Will be 75 this year, last year had two bouts of pneumonia, so exercise not really easy, which does not please the Ridgeback lady dog. SWMBO, 64, back to work, they cannot do without her, training up her successors. Lucky to have son's house servant once a week and one of his gardeners on Saturday afternoon, so small ( 2 bed) house and garden kept tidy. Spend a lot of time on Arrse, probably less than the good CaptainR or Lardy, they seem to be everywhere.

I had that argument with my doctor, and reversed diabetes dispite not losing weight

They wanted to see more exercise and a strict diet, I moderated my food intake a little and cut down on my alchol consumption a lot and did more exercise

I got told off for not losing weight significantly, but they can't argue with my health improving

Diets seldom work because you are literally fighting against what your body is preprogrammed to want, exercise is a damn site easier to manage
The thing is, they seem to forget that exercising adds muscle as well as burning fat.
As I said earlier, I'm doing both.
This week's tally (deliberate walks only, not daily 'steps' totals, which average well above 10,000)
Sat: 7.1 miles
Mon: 3 miles
Tue: 7.1 miles
Wed: 3.3 miles
Thu: 3.5 miles
Fri: 3.3 miles
Booze was 4-6 pints a night, 7 nights a week, plus a couple of bottles of wine a year ago.
Cut to 2-3 pints a night & 1 bottle of wine by the end of summer & this week I'm down to 1 pint a night & 1 bottle of wine.
I'm not eating much less than I was, just better, with bread, pasties & chips pretty much off the menu.
Loadsa sirloin steak, salmon & other nice fishy stuff though.

The thing is, they seem to forget that exercising adds muscle as well as burning fat.
As I said earlier, I'm doing both.
This week's tally (deliberate walks only, not daily 'steps' totals, which average well above 10,000)
Sat: 7.1 miles
Mon: 3 miles
Tue: 7.1 miles
Wed: 3.3 miles
Thu: 3.5 miles
Fri: 3.3 miles
Booze was 4-6 pints a night, 7 nights a week, plus a couple of bottles of wine a year ago.
Cut to 2-3 pints a night & 1 bottle of wine by the end of summer & this week I'm down to 1 pint a night & 1 bottle of wine.
I'm not eating much less than I was, just better, with bread, pasties & chips pretty much off the menu.
Loadsa sirloin steak, salmon & other nice fishy stuff though.
Fcuk your alcohol intake was very dangerous and still needs reducing drastically , ie 2-4 pints.... a week and 1 half bottle of vino.... per week. , I`d sell you a pension but not life insurance :)

Fcuk your alcohol intake was very dangerous and still needs reducing drastically , ie 2-4 pints.... a week and 1 half bottle of vino.... per week. , I`d sell you a pension but not life insurance :)
Are you serious?
My intake is 3 pints and a third of a bottle of whisky per night.
My doc is not worried about that.
I am 1.82 metres and weigh 95 k.

Are you serious?
My intake is 3 pints and a third of a bottle of whisky per night.
My doc is not worried about that.
I am 1.82 metres and weigh 95 k.
Yep I`m serious , sounds like your body is never getting a rest , I`m "dry" 5-6 days a week, want to buy a pension?

I've been tracing my ancestors via old census records lately. One of them was was listed as a 'Farmer and bootmaker' in the Somerset area born 1806, married in 1826, had kids etc etc.

Whizz forward to the 1881 census he was listed as having remarried to a 32 year old woman and come the 1891 census was listed as having yet more children, the old bugger. That's who I want to emulate.

Will be 75 this year, last year had two bouts of pneumonia, so exercise not really easy, which does not please the Ridgeback lady dog. SWMBO, 64, back to work, they cannot do without her, training up her successors. Lucky to have son's house servant once a week and one of his gardeners on Saturday afternoon, so small ( 2 bed) house and garden kept tidy. Spend a lot of time on Arrse, probably less than the good CaptainR or Lardy, they seem to be everywhere.
On the day I was told I had COPD they gave me the jab mentioned below
look to get a pack of emergency antibiotics, if you start with a chest infection you can take them straight away
no waiting for doctors, works for me

The pneumococcal vaccine protects against serious and potentially fatal pneumococcal infections. It's also known as the "pneumo jab" or pneumonia vaccine.

Pneumococcal infections are caused by the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae and can lead to pneumonia, septicaemia (a kind of blood poisoning) and meningitis. At their worst, they can cause permanent brain damage, or even kill.

Latest Threads