Age restrictions on promotion

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by squirt, Jul 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How do,

Apologies if this has been covered before however my search function was playing up..

Are there specific age restrictions on promotion? I'm particularly after details for promotion to Sgt, however a full list would be good too if anyone's got it?

Cheers in advance.

2. PD6 on the SOinC's blueprint, have a read of that :)

3. I don't have access to a computer terminal :(

4. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

unlucky then I suppose!

5. Thanks for your help.

6. Some PDs are on ArmyNET. Not sure if PD6 is on there but, if not, I'm sure someone in your chain of command can look it up on the Defence Intranet and get you a copy. I think it might be PM RESTRICTED.

7. Thank you very much. I'll take a look on Army Net.. It's more out of curiosity than anything else, so have not bothered the CoC with it. Ta again for the responses.

8. 22 year old Sgts are common place for Ammo Techs, so it doesn't seem there is an age restriction.

9. Not many Ammo Techs in the R Signals so I doubt if SOinC PD6 would apply.
    The Supervisory Grades had a minimum age of 35 (although this has been interpreted as being in your 35th year in the past) to get your WO1. It used to be time served rather than age (eg had to make Cpl in your 11th year of service). Of course, all this will have obviously changed now but this is where MCP (Manning Contol Points) used to come in. If you joined at 18, you had until age 30 to get your Cpl but if you joined at 28, you had until 40 (theoretically). Also had a 22 year old Tech Sgt who was put straight on his Foreman course so he'd have been a staffy at 24 (he had an Electronics degree when he joined and was promoted Sgt straight after basic training, but that was some 40 odd years ago).
    Yeah, I know, go and get the nurse to change the bottle, this one's empty.

10. Below is directly out of PD 6.

Lance Corporal (LCpl) 2 to 8 Completed years of service
    Corporal (Cpl) 4 to 10 Completed years of service
    Sergeant (Sgt) 7 to 13 Completed years of service
    Staff Sergeant (SSgt) 10 to 18 Completed years of service
    Warrant Officer Class 2 (WO2) 16 to 20 Completed years of service
    Warrant Officer Class 1 (WO1) 17 to 22 Completed years of service

23. Age Limits. There are no age limits for promotion to any rank except WO1 which is governed by Reference B, para 9.134e, which states that a WO2 will not normally be eligible for substantive promotion to WO1 after his 42nd birthday. If a CO recommends a WO2 who is over the age for promotion, a statement to this effect must be made on the SJAR and must be endorsed by an appropriate commander. The Promotion Board will consider such cases in the normal manner. If the candidate is selected for promotion, R SIGNALS Wing will consider the case under the authority delegated to SO1 R SIGNALS Wing by the Deputy Military Secretary (DMS).

11. See, that's what I was concerned about. Is that completed service or completed 'reckonable' service? I've done 8 years this year and am hoping to come off within the next year or two, however having joined at the age of 16, I've only done 6 years 'reckonable' service. I've worked my arse off for the last few years, so it'll be disappointing to know I'm not even in with a chance at the next promotion board...

12. As far as I know it's reckonable service, which goes from either the day you started training or your "17.5th birthday", whichever is later. However...you don't need to have passed that point on the day the promotion board sits, it's to do with the promotion year. Ask someone to get in touch with your desk officer and ask if you are likely to be be boarded, they can usually call it up pretty quickly on the screen and it will also highlight whether there are missing bits on your APC records such as a diffy CLM records etc.

13. What about if your made substantive Lance Corporal after phase 2 training. Do you have to wait 4 years until your put forward for Corporal?

14. Right, I should be OK then.. Is it from 17.5? I was always under the impression it was 18.. I'll have to see what JPA says next time I log on... Thanks again for the replies.

15. As a junior, 18 is only your pension date. 17.5 is your reckonable service date and the relevant date for G1 purposes.