Age Question: Falklands War

#1
Is it even remotely possible that someone born 8th June 1966 could have fought in the Falklands. Considering the Argentinian Surrender was on the 14th June 1982 ?
 
#3
Master_Sniper said:
Is it even remotely possible that someone born 8th June 1966 could have fought in the Falklands. Considering the Argentinian Surrender was on the 14th June 1982 ?
Yeah it is just possible.

If this person was in the Argie conscript army that is.

They definetly had 17 year olds in the Falklands so a 16yo is not outside the realms of the possible.

Can this guy speak spic?
 
#4
No the Guy in question is English, not Argentinian. He was in the British Army but claims to have fought in the Falklands. Though since I have a copy of His Passport and Driving Licence (for work reasons) I've lost touch with Him. As I was Infantry for nine years in the Eighties, I genuinely did not want to believe that I had been duped.
 
#5
Master_Sniper said:
No the Guy in question is English, not Argentinian. He was in the British Army but claims to have fought in the Falklands. Though since I have a copy of His Passport and Driving Licence (for work reasons) I've lost touch with Him. As I was Infantry for nine years in the Eighties, I genuinely did not want to believe that I had been duped.
I think that qualifies him as a Class one Walt.
 
#6
Fought in the falklands war or fought in a bar at mount pleaseant :D? Unless he was an argie or a bennie doubt it.
 
#7
I recall from memory that the youngeest soldier who Fought in the Falklands was 18, I was 17 and a half at the time and tho was keen to go I had two drawbacks, one I was still in my trade training phase and two the army would not have sent me anyway as I was too young. They had the same thinking as for NI that you can not go on the streets until you are 18. There was a public outcry that a young soldier was on his way and he was returned to the uk and a thorough check done to ensure no-one was under 18.

THAT SAID, my memory is also telling me that there was someone younger who went to the falklands but he was defo over 17 and did not land, but old age could be playing tricks on me now...
 
#8
From speaking to my uncle who was in 3 para, there were 17 year olds in the Falklands. In fact, if you go to the army roll of honour from previous conflicts, youll see that there was a 17 year old lad who was killed at battle of mount longdon.This will answer the question if anyone under 18 has served in modern wars.
Also, in the 1991 Gulf War, if my memory serves me right, there was a 17 year old soldier killed there aswell, by friendly fire, but i cant swear by that.
 
#9
I found this
In the ten years it took to negotiate the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, many participating nations argued about the age limits. Both the United Arab Emirate and the United States did not want the minimum age for military recruitment to be 18. Currently the US accepts 17-year-olds with parental permission as voluntary recruits into the US Marines. According to the US Defense Department statistics, 17-year-olds make up less than one-half of 1% of all active US troops. The UK, which allows volunteer soldiers at 16 years, joined the US in its opposition. Some UK 16 year olds fought in the Falklands War and 200 were at the front in the Gulf War in 1991. The UK was even less ready than the US to make a compromise by raising the minimum age to 18.
child soldiers
 
#10
The Bloke I'm talking about has a 2 Para tattoo, claims He fought at Goose Green, which was from 27 - 28th May 1982 (Born 8 June 1966) so as He told Me that He was the youngest to fight, I guess He'd be 15 at the time and 16 at the surrender on the 14th June 1982.
 
#11
I wouldnt believe him then. No way would a 15 year old have been in 2 paras battalion, he was a month short of his 16th birthday. The youngest who actually fought in the Falklands were 17. I put it to him that he didnt serve there at that time. My uncle who I mentioned above, was at the Paras depot in Aldershot( at the time also had juniors there)just before the the falklands broke out, everyone would have been atleast 16 and a half by the time thay passed off. Fact.
 

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
#12
The only way he could have fought in the Falklands would have been on a PlayStaion. If there was such a game.
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#13
Ian Scrivens and Jason Burt who were killed on Longdon were both 17 years old; Neil Grose who was killed there had just turned 18. As far as I'm aware, there were no 16 year old soldiers in the Falklands, so it looks like Walter Mitty strikes again.
 
#14
What I don't understand is why anyone would be stupid enough to tell such a lie and for what possible reason ? He knows full well that I served in My Regiment in The Kings Division from 1980 - 1988 because He's seen My Red Book ...... Like I said I was duped and He is caught.
 

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
#15
Could be a lesson learnt.
 
#16
the_butler said:
I found this
In the ten years it took to negotiate the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, many participating nations argued about the age limits. Both the United Arab Emirate and the United States did not want the minimum age for military recruitment to be 18. Currently the US accepts 17-year-olds with parental permission as voluntary recruits into the US Marines. According to the US Defense Department statistics, 17-year-olds make up less than one-half of 1% of all active US troops. The UK, which allows volunteer soldiers at 16 years, joined the US in its opposition. Some UK 16 year olds fought in the Falklands War and 200 were at the front in the Gulf War in 1991. The UK was even less ready than the US to make a compromise by raising the minimum age to 18.
child soldiers
What a lovely piece of propaganda! Please read it again! I cannot recall the numbers of British troops deployed to the Gulf War but it can't have been more than 20-30,000, and this article claims that almost 1% were 16? Yeah right! Our 16 year old soldiers were all in the Junior Leader Regts or in the Army Apprentice College in Arborfield. They didn't escape from those colleges until they were 17, at least, and then they joined the adult schools for trade training!

Litotes
 
#17
Surely if he was serving he would have neem Junior Para?

In all the books Ive read I never heard of Junior Para assaulting anything other than the ice cream van at Shornecliffe

When I'd just left the forces and started flogging accident and sickness cover I found a niche in the market for Doormen, they loved it because they got payed out for broken noses and knuckles. It also meant that I just worked Friday and Saturday nights and ended up mullered whilst earning a decent living.

One bloke in particular I wll never forget (Darren Taylor) reasonably fit looking lad, and to break the ice I used to ask if they were ex forces or rugby players etc, just to fed thier ego's a little before closing the thick cnuts.

This bloke said 'Yeah, Para mate... 2 Para... took a 7.95 in the leg in Tumbledown'

I asked him if he was 2 Para Attached to the Scots guards and his responce, was that he doesn't talk about it etc etc....

He said his leg was practically hanging off and that he was taken to an Argy hospital due to being behind the lines

When he gave me his date of birth to complete (his now loaded policy which he was happy to pay) is was March 1975, making him seven years old at the time of the Falklands conflict
 
#18
I that the reason why I've never seen or heard from Him since He looked at My Red Book is the way the lie started to unravel.

Though I was in My Regiment in the Kings Division, My first Regiment is listed as Parachute Regiment, though the truth of that is at 17 years old I attended Browning Barracks, Aldershot in 46* training platoon (sorry don't want to give the number in full) I lasted all of nine weeks before being advised that I should look for a another Regiment, so off I popped to Strensall, York, reemerging in civvies nine years later, having handed My Stripes in.

I asked Him what training Platoon He was with and He said 468, I was half cut at the time and the penny didn't drop, that was "X" Platoons behind Me. As I was born in 1963 and was 17 in 1980, I was in the Parachute Regiment Training esblishment with a 14 year old !!

He also told Me that He was Chairman of an RBL Branch in a Town in the West Country, I won't say where to save blushes. I've Googled and low and behold no mention.

So I have been well and truly Waltered.
 
#19
Litotes said:
the_butler said:
I found this
In the ten years it took to negotiate the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, many participating nations argued about the age limits. Both the United Arab Emirate and the United States did not want the minimum age for military recruitment to be 18. Currently the US accepts 17-year-olds with parental permission as voluntary recruits into the US Marines. According to the US Defense Department statistics, 17-year-olds make up less than one-half of 1% of all active US troops. The UK, which allows volunteer soldiers at 16 years, joined the US in its opposition. Some UK 16 year olds fought in the Falklands War and 200 were at the front in the Gulf War in 1991. The UK was even less ready than the US to make a compromise by raising the minimum age to 18.
child soldiers
What a lovely piece of propaganda! Please read it again! I cannot recall the numbers of British troops deployed to the Gulf War but it can't have been more than 20-30,000, and this article claims that almost 1% were 16? Yeah right! Our 16 year old soldiers were all in the Junior Leader Regts or in the Army Apprentice College in Arborfield. They didn't escape from those colleges until they were 17, at least, and then they joined the adult schools for trade training!

Litotes
This carp written by

Stefania Capodaglio was the first Ruth Floyd Intern for Human Rights at the foundation's Santa Barbara headquarters. She is a student at the Catholic University of Milan.

She has posted even more of the same shite around the web.

Governments in a few countries legally conscript children under eighteen. In the UK, teenagers who are sixteen can enlist in the military for a three-to five-year-tour-of-duty. In the US, a seventeen year old can enlist in the marines. In both countries these young soldiers can be sent to war zones.
Just in case anyone would like to ask her some questions.

Stefania Capodaglio can be contacted here: stecap77@hotmail.com

Have fun.
 
#20
I was born March 1966 and was still at school during the Falklands 5th Year (not sure what the equivalent is these days year 11 ?) So sounds like conkers to me unless he started Basic training aged 15 and crammed in his continuation and Para course at Brize and got a flight to catch up with the task force. Mind you he could of been with "them" as they recruit from 11 up
 

Latest Threads

Top