Age Question: Falklands War

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Master_Sniper, Dec 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it even remotely possible that someone born 8th June 1966 could have fought in the Falklands. Considering the Argentinian Surrender was on the 14th June 1982 ?

2. i'll think you'll find that the answer to that question will more than likely be a no.

3. Yeah it is just possible.

If this person was in the Argie conscript army that is.

They definetly had 17 year olds in the Falklands so a 16yo is not outside the realms of the possible.

Can this guy speak spic?

4. No the Guy in question is English, not Argentinian. He was in the British Army but claims to have fought in the Falklands. Though since I have a copy of His Passport and Driving Licence (for work reasons) I've lost touch with Him. As I was Infantry for nine years in the Eighties, I genuinely did not want to believe that I had been duped.

5. I think that qualifies him as a Class one Walt.

6. Fought in the falklands war or fought in a bar at mount pleaseant :D? Unless he was an argie or a bennie doubt it.

7. I recall from memory that the youngeest soldier who Fought in the Falklands was 18, I was 17 and a half at the time and tho was keen to go I had two drawbacks, one I was still in my trade training phase and two the army would not have sent me anyway as I was too young. They had the same thinking as for NI that you can not go on the streets until you are 18. There was a public outcry that a young soldier was on his way and he was returned to the uk and a thorough check done to ensure no-one was under 18.

THAT SAID, my memory is also telling me that there was someone younger who went to the falklands but he was defo over 17 and did not land, but old age could be playing tricks on me now...

8. From speaking to my uncle who was in 3 para, there were 17 year olds in the Falklands. In fact, if you go to the army roll of honour from previous conflicts, youll see that there was a 17 year old lad who was killed at battle of mount longdon.This will answer the question if anyone under 18 has served in modern wars.
    Also, in the 1991 Gulf War, if my memory serves me right, there was a 17 year old soldier killed there aswell, by friendly fire, but i cant swear by that.

9. I found this
    child soldiers

10. The Bloke I'm talking about has a 2 Para tattoo, claims He fought at Goose Green, which was from 27 - 28th May 1982 (Born 8 June 1966) so as He told Me that He was the youngest to fight, I guess He'd be 15 at the time and 16 at the surrender on the 14th June 1982.

11. I wouldnt believe him then. No way would a 15 year old have been in 2 paras battalion, he was a month short of his 16th birthday. The youngest who actually fought in the Falklands were 17. I put it to him that he didnt serve there at that time. My uncle who I mentioned above, was at the Paras depot in Aldershot( at the time also had juniors there)just before the the falklands broke out, everyone would have been atleast 16 and a half by the time thay passed off. Fact.

12. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

The only way he could have fought in the Falklands would have been on a PlayStaion. If there was such a game.

13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Ian Scrivens and Jason Burt who were killed on Longdon were both 17 years old; Neil Grose who was killed there had just turned 18. As far as I'm aware, there were no 16 year old soldiers in the Falklands, so it looks like Walter Mitty strikes again.

14. What I don't understand is why anyone would be stupid enough to tell such a lie and for what possible reason ? He knows full well that I served in My Regiment in The Kings Division from 1980 - 1988 because He's seen My Red Book ...... Like I said I was duped and He is caught.

15. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Could be a lesson learnt.