Age of Empires Online

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Mar 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I ran a search for this, convinced I'd read a thread on it before, but came up with nothing. Anyway, this is a bit of a public service announcement for all you RTS fans on ARRSE: Age of Empires has now been re-released as a Free2Play MMO. I downloaded it through Steam yesterday and so far it seems to be pretty good - nothing special, but fine for a freebie. They've made it a lot more cartoony than previously, and there's a loot and levelling system that seems to map pretty well to the RTS genre. The money-making is done through the sale of in-game items and and tribe packs, although I've yet to see how much impact it has on fairness. The game is not solely PVP, with AI-driven quest/campaign missions and multi-player co-op vs. AI "skirmish battles". In fact, PVP does appear to be a paid privilege - although a lot of the game unlocks with one purchase, and Steam currently have the necessary bundles on sale at about £3. You'll need a GFWL account if you haven't already got one, and the integration of the two platforms makes things a little annoying at first. I had a number of errors trying to log in, which were resolved by me logging into GFWL through my browser and accepting a new TOS agreement. Once you get past the teething issues it seems to be quite stable. If any of you give it a go, drop me a PM.
  2. I played this back end of last year. Enjoyed all the single player stuff - but seemed to get as far as I could . Spent a bit on it too!