Age limits (for officers this time)

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Mar 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Dear All

(This on behalf of an internet-less colleague)

Is there any truth in the rumour that that a TA officer must make Captain by the age of 35 or s/he will be kicked out?

If that is the rule, is it one of those age-limits which TA routinely bends?

msr

2. The old RAC wkprs pool had a limit of 40 for Capts. So 35 sounds a bit silly). What happens to chaps in say a Fd Amb (or whatever they call it nowadays) who reach Capt but can't make OC because the Reg Medics keep appointing Regular officers as OC.

3. Smells like bull to me , but it could depend on the regiment

after all who wants to run around as a infantry lt when they are over 40

4. I didnt think they had to leave but it meant that they got passed over for promotion. And anyways what happens to the ex WO's that have taken commisions cos surely they are going to be over 35 at captain!

Will

5. Medics today have an age limit of 95(provided a pulse is present)

6. Pulse is now optional

7. While on the subject (sort of!) whats the max age for joining as an officer ?

8. msr

msr LE

I know of two who were DE at 36.

msr

9. It sounds unlikely: units like HAC and SAS tend to have quite ancient junior officers.

10. Wow 36.
    8O
    I was told I was too ancient for the DE at 33.
    I suppose it just depends where you go

11. msr

msr LE

And what you've got to offer ;)

msr

12. TA Regs very clear on subject and the variations dependent on Arm or Service. Your friendly neighbourhood PSAO should be able to point you in the right direction.

Rules, of course, are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools. Therefore the Army very allows for over-age extensions to service - for those still fit and up to the job. These apply as much to Officers as they do to Soldiers so no reason why you would automatically have to go at a certain age.

Just for the record, too old is about 10 years older than me and will be for as long as I stay in green. :wink:

13. Don't spread it about :wink: but I transferred in to a Bde Reinforcement Team (CCRF Home Service role), aged 49, after 5 years commissioned service in the ACF. They made me join the Gen List (V) and insisted that I revert to probationary 2Lt ('as you have not held a proper commission before'). As my regular service had been as a CPO in the RN :oops: , I was not eligible for LE either.

As previously stated the age limits are laid down in TA Regs, but rules are for guidance, a case can and often is made for an exemption. The current age limit for the BRT role is 60 as set out in a HQ Land letter. I agree with the previous post, too old is at least 10 years older than me :lol:.

14. 35 for Inf

40 for most others

See TA Regs for more info!

15. This was undoubtedly on account of your fine personal qualities or are they just desperate for CCRF/BRT types?I take it people in the Bde HQ will be passing comment on "distinguished-looking" subalterns :D