Age limits for courses and selection

ArtyBoy

Clanker
Hi all, I am currently in the process of applying to join the forces. I have previous military experience having served in the Irish army for 4 years. As I'm planning on entering service at a higher age than the usual recruit I am concerned about the limitations that may be in place for someone my age (early 30's)

I am looking for opinions and advice on the possibility of having a decent career.
Are there age limitations on UKSF selection? I've read on wikipedia that the age limit for selection is 32, is this true?
Are there age limits on any other courses?

Regardless of any age restrictions on courses I may have an interest in, I still fully intend on serving, I'm just looking for some insight.

Regards,

Arty.

ArtyBoy

Clanker
With all the experts and serving members on this site I'm surprised there hasn't been any comments at all on this.

With all the experts and serving members on this site I'm surprised there hasn't been any comments at all on this.
It's full of never served alcoholics and outrage whores mate. Unless a couple of people in the know are happy to share on here then you are best phoning someone who knows - ie your recruiter.

ArtyBoy

Clanker
For those who may have similar questions, from what I've been told there are no age limits on courses such as the AACC or the AAPP course, also UKSF selection no longer has an age limit only that you must have served 3 years and have 3 years left on your contract before attempting selection. As always, open to correction.

It used to be 'serve for 6 still have 6 left to serve', it goes on prior served experience, cutoff age was then 32, that goes for pure physical endurance capability, as you get older, your body does less! But you couldn't do selection with less than 6yrs under your belt, but that was 'back in the day'!

Good luck, there was a 55 year old gent who did the AACC back in 2006/2007. Mind he was making a programme about the RM not serving.

Yes really.

Chris Terrill did not attempt or complete the AACC.

What he did was film a Recruit Troop throughout their training, as well as follow a particular officer. To fully explore the subject, he undertook much of the training alongside the recruits, including all the mandatory tests along the way, including the Commando tests. Instead of a weapon he carried his camera.

He was awarded an honorary special hat.

ironr4tions

Old-Salt
He was awarded an honorary special hat.

Are there any other people that have been awarded "honorary special hats"?
ImageUploadedByARRSE1404714482.203842.jpg

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads