age group

Kin 'ell mate, if you think you're an old fogy at 25, life is going to be a great dissapointment to you.

lol
nah I dont mean tha like 30+ is goin onto an old fogy
But it would be a bit shit if i was stuck with all 30 year olds an no one close to my age

scouser06 said:
lol
nah I dont mean tha like 30+ is goin onto an old fogy
But it would be a bit s*** if i was stuck with all 30 year olds an no one close to my age
...whats S*** about the 30 +, we have life experience, wrinkles, boring old stories of exercises in Germany in the 80's, grey hair,... no hair!.., we remember DMS boots and bruises on our shoulders and cracks in glasses from the SLR, ....we now wear glasses!!! we need to be in the proxmity of a loo at all times..

....and in our troop we thirty/fourty somethings have very high physical standards,we generally achieve the highest scores on the BPFA, fitter than most of the 20 something's that make up our sister squadron... who seem eager to ignore fitness requirements

Scouser6 ...

Why not phone your local TA centre and ask what the average age is. Then explain your view of people over 30, explain that you are under 25 and think that by virtue of your age you are superior...

This will offer whoever you are talking to a good laugh, but might prejudice your application

As a regular at a TA unit, I's say the age range is very wide, from teen agers to late 40's and early 50's.
But,obviously, units and locations vary.

cleanbluesky said:
Scouser6 ...

Why not phone your local TA centre and ask what the average age is. Then explain your view of people over 30, explain that you are under 25 and think that by virtue of your age you are superior...

This will offer whoever you are talking to a good laugh, but might prejudice your application
Never said nothing abr being superior,it's just that I dont think Id get along with older people.

scouser06 said:
cleanbluesky said:
Scouser6 ...

Never said nothing abr being superior,it's just that I dont think Id get along with older people.

Not sure the TA would be for you then.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Redcap said:
scouser06 said:
cleanbluesky said:
Scouser6 ...

Not sure the TA would be for you then.
...or any job at all come to think of it! Gosh, what'll happen IF you grow up?

If everyone over the age of 30 left the TA I suspect you would not have enough to make many regiments, left.

I am thinking of joining up with some kind of reserve force but at 33 would i feel like an old fuddy duddy going through training?

or is that the general age group?

slingshot

i have heard the chelsea pensioners are recruiting, and they have a very nice uniform too, oh and
some jolly fine nurses to play with.

certa-cisco said:
why not stop in the cadets then or are the big boys there picking on you?
certa-cisco said:
slingshot

i have heard the chelsea pensioners are recruiting, and they have a very nice uniform too, oh and
some jolly fine nurses to play with.
So what is a good age to join then???

However,
cleanbluesky said:
Why not phone your local TA centre and ask what the average age is.
Slingshot, your best best is cleanbluesky's suggestion, ask about the average age of people going through the recruit system at the moment ... each unit tends to vary depending on it's role.

edited for sausage fingers!

We have everyone from 18 yr olds to 30somethings .I guess the ideal age would be 20 something mature enough to get most from
training and fit enough .Yeah 33 is a bit old but crack on .

woody said:
We have everyone from 18 yr olds to 30somethings .I guess the ideal age would be 20 something mature enough to get most from
I thought 32 was the upper age limit for joining???

TGM - upper age limits are relaxed so often now that they are almost a history lesson rather than current rules.

Best advice to anyone thinking of joining the TA at any age (other than just do it and do it right now ;)) is join anyway: the TA is a broad church. Sure there will be people you just won't have anything other than the uniform in common with but there will be a few people in every TA unit who will be close enough in age and interests to become mates - and a few who you would never have dreamed it was possible to become mates with who end up being life-long bezzers.

woody said:
I would say that there is some truth to this, but I think that physical ability of most people in their 30s is a great deal higher than is often suggested...

How old was Kelly Holmes when she won two gold medals? 34. And she 'only' got a single bronze medal when competing in 2000, at age 30.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/story/0,10082,915552,00.html

Paula Radcliffe? Currently 31/32 and the best in the world...

My sister in law is in her 30s and she went from little excercise to completing a marathon in just under a year...

Personally I thought that my strength was going to peak at 21 (as had been suggested by various uniformed places) but I am at my strongest now, despite having passed that age. I am running faster than ever, despite being cardio-unfit 2 years ago...

I'd say that age isn't a barrier with these things and the idea that 20-25 are fitter is based a comparison betwen people who don't work hard and probably don't excercise that much... whereas in the real world the fittest are those who believe in themselves rather than those who fit into a narrow age band...

And with regards to the age question - Scouser9 - being in the company of older people has been something that gave me a big leap in maturity at one point in my life, you may find that it would do the same for you in the TA. Also remember that people in the TA aren't just going to be defined by what age they are, even if you are in a different age group you will be a part of their unit and you will have that in common with them...

We get a fair spread in ages, the eldest is 34, which is also the max age for joining, mind you that is still younger than most of the instructors.

each age group have their pluses & minuses, we have had some very mature 19/20 year olds, the older genaration are generally more sensible but not always. The grey mafia tend to assist & act as a calming influence on the younger generation.
this is also noticable when we get moblised, you have to let the yunf'uns go through the door first, you just don't know whats on the other side!