Age advice please....

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by dave77, Oct 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    Currently in process of applying for the Army, I fancy RA.
    I work with a couple of ex-forces and was a bit put off by speaking to one of them today. I'm 30yrs old (31 in about 6 weeks) and my colleague rekons that I'll be the oldest person at basic by a mile and that everyone else will be about 18-20. The Careers Officer I spoke to last week said that most of the younguns will be going for Infantry and that things like RA and RAC get older applicants. The bloke I spoke to today joined up about 25yrs ago and left about 12 yrs ago so he might be a bit out of touch but he said I'd be seen as a bit of an oddity being 31 when at training.

So, what is the actual age group like? How many people join up at late 20s?
    And how do they fit in with the rest of the younguns?

I'm fit enough for the tests and basic training and I consider myself a 'young' 30yr old. ie. Full of energy and fun etc.

Ta. Dave

2. Just go for it mate, there was a 30 year old in my squad 20 odd years ago he was considered an asset. 30 is nowt. Follow your heart and enjoy. If you don't like it, leave. Just remember to 'suck it up', keep your mouth shut and head down, you will be fine.

3. I second that mate, you shouldnt let something like that get in your way, its a once in a lifetime experience, go for it.

4. Nottyash, I take it that you are talking from first hand experience if you joined with a 30yrs old 20years ago?!

Infidel, is this something you have experienceed as well or just what you've heard??

Ta

5. Yes mate, at the time I was a kid and what was clear to me at least was that with age comes experience, although not always wisdom. But in this individuals case, he proved himself to be a steady hand and a calming influence and when the chips were down (which if you take the plunge they will be) he was frequently and able to put everything into perspective.

6. Thanks guys (or girls!)

Exactly what I wanted to hear!
    Get all excited when I think that I might finally be able to join after wanting to all my life and all you want is for people to encourage you. So for someone to say that age will be a problem when it was at the back of my mind anyway knocks the wind out of you a bit.

Cheers.

7. No probs please feel free to PM me. Good luck with your endeavours.

8. Dave77

i'm gonna be 27 in a few months and i'll be joining up shortly afterwards so kinda in the same boat, (well your still an oldie haha) but i'm really looking forward to it ;-)