AGAI 78 UPDATE - Med Discharge MND(P)

BLUF..
Policy update as of Oct 21 - Now states anyone who is currently MND(P) will be medically discharged at the end of their assignment or job offer.

I was MLD due to NIHL for several years but have recently been diagnosed with Celiac Disease (Gluten intolerance) which is mild in my case. The issue seems to stem from the fact that they do not hold gluten free ration packs and as such mean I cannot deploy. I have since submitted an appeal to state I could in fact deploy to any location that has a fully functioning G4 chain and I could manage my diet as I currently do in the UK.

My questions stem around the following, at the point they inform you of the process, is it 1 more assignment (job offer), as this would give parity of treatment of all soldiers regardless of their current assignment length ( some could be in last 6 months and as stated in PAP end of assignment they are to be medically discharged). And allow full transition period and planning (also allow for any appeals).

I am still on 75 Pension and will be at the 20 year point when my current assignment runs out (Apr 23), would I be eligible for a immediate pension & lump sum, I understand that as its not attributable to service, it would be taxable if it is.

As my NIHL was prior to 2005 would and i was originally told that i would have to wait until I left the Army to make a claim as a WAR Pension (I am H4 left ear) but not convinced i will get anything as hearing loss has now more things in place to block claims.

The kicker with all this was that I was selected to Veng Full last Apr so would have been able to serve until 2033 (30 Years). In theory I will lose 10 years of service (wages & additional pension)

@Forces Pension Society

Last edited:
I have since submitted an appeal to state I could in fact deploy to any location that has a fully functioning G4 chain and I could manage my diet as I currently do in the UK.
Hahahahah

On transfer to AFPS 15 on 1 April 2022 your AFPS 75 rights will be preserved which means that, if you are medically discharged, that part of your pension built up in AFPS 75 will come into payment on your retirement. For AFPS 75 there is an automatic lump sum worth three times the pension paid. You are correct in thinking that an invaliding pension for a non-attributable condition would be taxable.

If you are a member of the Forces Pension Society, the Pensions Team will be happy to help you with any further questions you might have.

On transfer to AFPS 15 on 1 April 2022 your AFPS 75 rights will be preserved which means that, if you are medically discharged, that part of your pension built up in AFPS 75 will come into payment on your retirement. For AFPS 75 there is an automatic lump sum worth three times the pension paid. You are correct in thinking that an invaliding pension for a non-attributable condition would be taxable.

If you are a member of the Forces Pension Society, the Pensions Team will be happy to help you with any further questions you might have.
yes could I PM you with my details please

yes could I PM you with my details please

How did you get on with this predicament as I too am going through the same process and don't believe the Pension Society understand the AGAI 78 process. This is all seems to be a redundancy by stealth as even though we are getting kicked out medically we aren't getting the full medical discharge pension etc.

From my understanding and witness to other discharges under this system, it appears to be a stealth redundancy so they get out of paying war pensions etc, by using terminology like your are unfit for service dur to your injury and you cannot carry out your contractual services so we no longer require your service, bye bye.

its absolutely disgusting that service men and women who are injured through service are being treated like this, and this needs to be made public and MP's made aware so we can have it reversed.