AGAi 67 or old school

AGAI 67 or Old School

• Agai 67

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
amazing__lobster said:
With regards to old school, field discipline, etc. Do people think this is appropriate with females?

Not disagreeing, etc, but wondered if maybe that's the reason why it's not as widely used anymore.
Thats right we would all be ashamed of getting a beating of a women :D

As a youing soldier I learned the intricicies of paperwork and filing.
I learned how to do accurate stores checks etc and all the fiddles.
I learned how to prep the wagon for exercise on my own in the evening.
I learned not to fook with my boss.
All helped me in later career, I never had a bad record follwing me around, I don't know what this AGAI 67 amounts to I guess its a sign of the times along with the introduction of JNCO duty huggers.

Old school all the way. A sprog knocking in an AEH set all morning will soon change his or her ways.

The13thDukeOfWybourne said:
Old school all the way. A sprog knocking in an AEH set all morning will soon change his or her ways.

Got to watch the little gets dont cut the pins down though 8O

Truth be told i dish out threats of throat jabs and a dig here and there, which is normally enough as i am an old school monster, however,
when the time arises for a proper bit of grief
I get him/her on their own, look them in the eyes and say quite quietly
Im not angry with you :cry:
Just dissapointed :oops:

Gets them close to tears every time :D

The way I have always seen it is punish me not my family. By charging me with a financial award or extra duties take time from my kids. Smack me round the head and I feel it not my kids.

and before anyone says I have never been smacked round the head so hard my grandchildren will feel it. (no one big enough)

Rowcroft_rascal said:
The way I have always seen it is punish me not my family. By charging me with a financial award or extra duties take time from my kids.
Don't me naughty and your kids will not feel the financial bite nor lose time with you.

On the flip side, if you are fined, work a second job to recoup the losses, or bring the kids in for your extra/work parade.

But ultimately the bottom line is.... Don't be naughty.

I've only ever been punched (Properly) once for a mistake. I have since been punched but have never made the same mistake again.

There is a time and a place for a crack and there is a time and a place for Agai-Man to use his super powers!

Rowcroft_rascal said:
The way I have always seen it is punish me not my family. By charging me with a financial award or extra duties take time from my kids. Smack me round the head and I feel it not my kids.

and before anyone says I have never been smacked round the head so hard my grandchildren will feel it. (no one big enough)
Think Rowcrof rascal is looking for a fight!!! 8O

Has anyone watched that TV program Super Nanny?

They have the principle there.
It's all about being cosequenshal. If you do something wrong, expect a punishment! If that punishment is too small, chances are you'll do it again.
Make the punishment "fit" the crime or "worthwhile" and it will probably prevent the crime happening again.

Not like the crap show/work parades that most get.
A good dig in the ribs means alot more than turning up in your shiney boots at 2200Hrs!!

Incoming.........................!!!!!!!!! :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D

Electric_Dobbin said:

It's all about being cosequenshal. If you do something wrong, expect a punishment! If that punishment is too small, chances are you'll do it again.
Make the punishment "fit" the crime or "worthwhile" and it will probably prevent the crime happening again.

A good dig in the ribs means alot more than turning up in your shiney boots at 2200Hrs!!

Does that mean we could have a "naughty step" in the Guard Room?

My bold. Oh, I don't know. You should hear some of our young lads whinge when they have a show/works parade. It's pure comedy genius.

AGAI 67 works if you use it to the full but on the flip side i have always found punishing the masses for the individual works as everyone comming in at the weekend cos some scrote hasnt pulled his weight usually only needs doing once lol

chocolate_frog said:
Electric_Dobbin said:

Does that mean we could have a "naughty step" in the Guard Room?

We already have one, Its called the guard room. Just because while you are in there any nasty sgt can walk past you and call you all the vile insults under the sun is entirely coincidental. The principle is the same, If you decide you don't want to be there then you are forced to stay until you realise the benefits. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Violence only works if the recipient respects the 'issuer'. i.e. Old school twatting of blokes to put them back on the straight and narrow. Times have now changed and youngsters now have different views of right and wrong, therefore punishment has to change with the times. Here's where AGAI 67 has its strength because its completely auditable and scaleable, so if used correctly still has the same effect.

I personally think the vagueness of the Service test leave a lot open to interpretation. The CIPD have pretty much stated that the Service test (in a civilian form) wouldn't work outside of the military because it is so vague. It is almost as bad as old catch all Section 69 of the Army Act - bringing the Army into disrepute. AGAI 67 can be manipulated to punish anybody for almost any situation regardless of the severity of the crime and I view it as a method that can be abused by bullies.

Mate of mine incorrectly filled out the old AGAI paperwork for one of his lads (the muppet put his own name in the details box). How we laughed when the ASM awarded him his own 3 extras to "educate" him in the wisdom of filling out his paperwork correctly.

mickriley1334 said:
We used to have a problem in the Regt with "gobby" nigs and the downright lazy generation that is 75 % of todays recruits who know their rights etc etc

I know this will attract the "you have to move with the times" bde but just curious. I was always dealt with by a slap round the head etc etc is the old way the best or should we indeed move with the times?

How do you prefer to deal with them?
You talk about a slap around the head but you haven't included it as an option on the poll.

AGAI 67 is minor, 252 is slightly more serious. Normal NCO bollockings and "mentoring" if they feck up first. AGAI them if it is a real clanger and need to learn a lesson. If it's "nasty" or dangerous or if repeated AGAI doesn't work, 252 the little scrote. I know I haven't mentioned the service test etc but that's the way I see it in simple terms.

Basically - use escalation of force.

IMHO AGAI 67 is the little boy with his finger in the dike (no pun intended). The respect for Seniors/Officers and fear of discipline has diminished in the last three decades, without a doubt. This is symptomatic of that same shift in loss respect for elders and the law outside the wire. When full manning is achieved (soon I am told), then AGAI 67, when used effectively and properly will weed out the out and out dross and perhaps may be seen in a new light.

Just my tuppence. :crazy:

mickriley1334 said:
We used to have a problem in the Regt with "gobby" nigs and the downright lazy generation that is 75 % of todays recruits who know their rights etc etc
As painful as it may be to hear it, if the NCOs and SNCOs who trained these 'gobby nigs' managed them firmly and fairly in the first place, there would be much fewer discipline problems. It's not up to the recruits and Privates of today to bring themselves up to the minimum standard, it's up to their elders and betters to drag them there.

Old School was of its time, rarely applied fairly and for the most part ineffecive.

Big blokes rarely got offered the "orders or round the back" choice and so either escaped punishment or the punishment far outweighed the crime. I believe AGAI offers a good tool to punish people at all levels who require it.

My opinion, and it is only that, is based on both sides of the fence; when I was a Spr I got punched for something I had done (and was in the wrong) by a Full Screw who would ignore the mistakes of those who he thought he couldn't intimidate, which after I made it clear he wan't to do it again included me.

Later when I was a Full Screw I occaisionally (perhaps hypocritically) used OS methods and was caught out when two lads I had cause to 'clip round the ear' who then both decided to respond in kind and it all got a bit messy.

One of the lads was a consitent 'bad lad' and the SSM decided to use the incident to hammer him, in the end I had to defend him because I'd started it, which made me not so popular with the SSM and kind of defeated the point of the original punishment!

When I made Staffy I made it clear to my Cpls that if I had cause to AGAI someone for something I believed that they should be dealing with, then it would reflect badly on them. To the point that, when one of the Sprs was consistently late for parade I detailed one of the Full Screws to ensure he was not late again; when he was, I AGAI'd both of them, both of which were upheld by the CoC.

I've been out a while now and haven't been involved in the current operations in Afghanistan (something for which I have conflicting emotions, I am both grateful and a little jealous) so I would be interested to know how these operations affect the use / likelyhood of old school punishments.

You will always have the gobby little nigs I just don't think "slapping" them is a clever means of dealing with it in this day and age.

In all my years in I actually never seen anyone "taken round the back" there were alternative punishments to dished out and taken, some very inventive, some mundane "extras" usually given out by other SNCO's who just liked to fill out their duty lists nominees, rather than actually do some work that was fair to all on them.

The gobby crow. gungy git or whoever who would not listen or try to amend their ways and fit in with the rest were more often than not sorted by the toms themselves.or were usually seen on OC's orders every month or so., and most times charges were from JNCO's not stripies.

In my experience generally, these types didn't last more than one posting/earliest sign off date.Are they lasting longer these days with all the tours etc going on, is there less BS whilst in camps? I guess and would hope so anyway.

Again in my experience most troubled times with "wayward" soldiers was in camp and they were bored with daily routine/standard camp BS. well it was cold war times couldn't have ruskies invading BAOR and the litter was bad in camp