AG injuncts BBC

cpunk

LE
The Attorney General has prevented the BBC from broadcasting a story about the 'Cash for Honours' story. Hmmm.

Bare bones here

This would be the same government that has signed us up for the 'Human Rights Act'. It's like living in Wonderland.

He went for an injunction?

What reasons did he provide? Not that old 'Public interest' chestnut surely?

Get it up on uchoob Auntie Beeb :)

It is being investigated and other charges may come about and this programme could influence a fair trial.

Edited because Freud may have influenced me.

cpunk said:
The Attorney General has prevented the BBC from broadcasting a story about the 'Cash for Honours' story. Hmmm.

Bare bones here

This would be the same government that has signed us up for the 'Human Rights Act'. It's like living in Wonderland.
I'll have the blue pill now, if you please - I've had enough! :pissedoff:

cpunk said:

Bare bones here

Beebs will not be happy about that.

Sorry CPunk xx

It is being investigated and other charges may come about and this programme could influence a fail trial
Thanks Offog. So it must be pretty red-hot then? :)

Things are just looking better and better for Labour. :roll:

Isn't this a bit like Thatcher banning Spycatcher ? No smoke without fire. Everyone will want to know what was banned. It will definately come out in some website or other so why bother ?

If they had just let them run the story half the fools in the country wouldn't have paid any attention. ( As the story wasn't about Jade or Kerry Catonia )

Now everyone will be interested. Own Goal !

AG injuncts BBC

Thought for a moment Freddie Viggers was preventing any more pictures of shoddy accommodation being aired in public. :D

Instead, it appears to be good news. Neue Arbeit must really be a bit concerned with this one to get Cronysmith to pull this sort of stunt.

PartTimePongo said:
It is being investigated and other charges may come about and this programme could influence a fail trial
It would appear that the BBC has not followed its own rules.
Contempt of Court
Where legal proceedings become "active", there are concerns about contempt of court in addition to the usual issues. Consideration should be given to links to archived stories which could create a substantial risk of serious prejudice. Where appropriate, these should be removed. See Section 16 of the Editorial Guidelines for more about contempt. For advice, consult Programme Legal Advice Department.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/editorialguidelines/onguide/thelaw/contemptofcourt.shtml

How many times have Arrse stopped debate on soldiers who are being investigated in a possible criminal case.

PartTimePongo said:
Current odds:-

2/1
Attorney General or DPP has halted all proceedings against Tony & cronies because they are not in the public interest.

5/1
Yates of the Yard has been found dead in a forest having consumed a quantity of co-proxamol before slashing his wrists while unconscious.

10/1
Tony to abdicate tomorrow, posting the keys to No. 10 through No. 11's letterbox on the way to Heathrow to catch a flight to Paraguy. Cherie is currently busy packing the last remaining pieces of No. 10 silverwear.

25/1
Government will rush through a new law in an emergency session of Parliament this weekend while the entire Tory party is pi$$ed celebrating Dave's lead in the opinion polls. The new law will grant legal immunity to the PM, as in America, Russia and Italy.

50/1
Government is about to invoke the Civil Contingencies Act and use ministerial prerogative to overturn the Life Peerages Act and any other laws Tony & cronies may have broken in the past or may break in future. (Cronies to include Cherie 'wide mouthed frog' Blair, and offspring Euan 'snorter' Blair, Kathryn 'suicide is painless' Blair and Leo 'screaming sh1t machine' Blair).

100/1
Blair to be nicked tomorrow at 0600Z (For you army types, that's six o'clock in the morning. For RAF types, that's when the big hand is on the 12 and the little hand is on the 6 and it's still dark outside).

200/1
Blair to announce 3 year job swap with North Korean head of state and renowned nutter Kim Jong-Il.

500/1
He's already been nicked. Late on Friday night, he was dragged from No. 10 dressed in the gimp suit he wears for Cherie at weekends while the world's press looked on.

1000/1
Blair has finally snapped. Whitehall tourists with camera phones recorded him standing on a third floor window ledge in his underpants. An unseen but unmistakably Scottish heckler within Downing Street was heard to shout 'Jump ya poncy Inglish b@sturd. Were's yir legacy noo then?'

To place a bet, call B. Sands bookmakers on 808080.

If the police are supporting the banning of this information being leaked then I'm behind it. If the AG or Tony the Liar was trying to D Notice it I'd be saying different.

Call me naive but I still have confidence that the judiciary are not motivated by party politics and if our kosher friend is going to be considered for occupation in a single room in Longmarsh then I for one will be praying for a fair trial and a fair hanging.

Oh! Handbags! One crony gagging another nest of cronies.

Anyone reckon Bliar is beginning to lose control?

I heard that a senior rhinocerous from Africa, was writing to Bliar for advice on thick skin. Can't Bliar understand that he is a discredited buffoon whose continuation as 'prime minister' is deleterious to the well-being of Great Britain? (Silly me, he has NEVER had the well-being of Great Britain on his agenda).

frenchperson said:
It's good news. It shows they're running scared and Goldsmith is now contemplating if not expecting a prosecution.
Quite probably but I don't think that it'll be Fony. He'll sacrifice one of the minions.

BBC latest:

Studio: "We're now going to our political correspondent. What's the latest?"

Reporter: "Under the terms of the injunction, I can't tell you anything"

Hmmmm.....

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/art...56Z_01_L03119066_RTRUKOC_0_UK-BRITAIN-BBC.xml

LONDON (Reuters) - The British Broadcasting Corporation has been barred from running a story about a political funding scandal that has cast a shadow over Prime Minister Tony Blair's final months, police said on Saturday.

The government's top lawyer, Attorney General Lord Peter Goldsmith, obtained a court injunction stopping the broadcast late on Friday following a request by police probing whether political parties awarded state honours in return for loans.

Police sought the injunction "because of their concern that disclosure of certain information at this stage would impede their inquiries," a joint statement from the Metropolitan police and Goldsmith said.

The move sparked speculation among politicians that officers were planning to bring charges against one or more individuals.

Two Blair aides were recently arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice or conspiring to do so as the probe appeared to widen into a potential cover-up inquiry.

Blair, who is set to step down this year after a decade in office, has been questioned twice as a witness by detectives investigating whether businessmen were offered honours, that come with seats in the Lords, for cash.

The injunction was granted shortly before the BBC was due to broadcast the story on its ten o'clock news.

"The Attorney General acted in this regard completely independent of government and (in) his independent public interest capacity," said the statement.

The BBC said its reporting of the story was a matter of public interest.

PROSECUTION TO FOLLOW?

The leader of the opposition Liberal Democrats Menzies Campbell suggested the blocking of the report implied detectives were planning on charging someone.

"I think what one might be able to infer from the fact that he (the attorney general) felt it necessary to seek this injunction is that he at least contemplates the possibility that a prosecution of some kind will follow," he told BBC's Newsnight late on Friday.

Police began in March last year to probe claims that the Labour Party and other parties had nominated people for seats in the Lords in return for party funding.

Lord Levy, Blair's top fundraiser and Middle East envoy, was arrested in January on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, signalling the inquiry had moved beyond the funding scandal. He was first arrested last year.

Ruth Turner, director of government relations in Blair's office, was also arrested in January on suspicion of perverting the course of justice and released without charge.

All those involved deny any wrongdoing.