AFV Track Safety/Maintenance

Discussion in 'REME' started by Rooper, Sep 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been asked/instructed to write some safety regulations with regards to track changes and maintenance on AFVs (specifically BMP3 at the moment). After 24 years in Para Regt the amount I know about AFV maintenance could be written on a postage stamp so I'm appealing to you more technical types to give me a little guidance.

Does anyone have any examples of the above that I could bastardise to suit. I fully intend to visit the workshops and watch them undertaking the task but it would be nice to have a few guidelines to allow me approach it from the right angle. We have official access to UK doctrine, the BAEBB etc but it's not a great deal of help for this.

Any assistance would be massively appreciated.
  2. Don't put your fingers where you wouldn't put your d**k!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. AESP's are all Restricted so copying/transmitting to FGO's is a no-no. Besides which, the ASM will go schizoid if uncontrolled copies are floating about all over the place being useful instead of locked away in the tech library.
  4. Track changes were always done by own crews on Centurions,no workshops involved.Track links and pins stretched over a period of time,depending on usage,so you had to remove one link.Forget what the exact number was,but when you reached a certain number of links in a track,you had to change the track completely and start afresh.Think rear sprocket rings had to changed as well.

Attached Files:

5. Swap tasks with the RTR bloke who is writing the method statement on parachute packing.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Tracks are heavy. If you drop it on your foot it will sting a little.
    Tracks control the vehicle via the sprocket, which is off the ground. If you take both off at the same time there is nothing stopping the vehicle rolling away*.
    Track tension is important. If the track is too loose it will fall off.
    Track tension is important. If the track is too tight it will snap.

* unless of course you put something in place to stop this happening.
  7. Saw that happen once - 4 Fd Rgt RA, Munsterlager - I was in the G troop bay on the tank park, working on one of the radars when the shouting started. I looked up to see a trackless 432 heading slowly towards me, luckily stopped by itself a few yards away.

Quote of the day- "But I had the tillers locked on" ...
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Not a REME task unless its on a REME wagon. Try the RAC as they have the Army lead on all things tracked including maint.
  9. Both tracks off at once? Bad drills
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wot I said.
  11. CET tracks.

When pulling the tracks back on, use the final drive to wind it on instead of pulling manually.

When splitting the tracks use a big guy with atleast one good eye on the sledge hammer.
    We had competions to see who could knock the pin out with the least blows, I think 3 won it.
  12. You found a CET with anything working on it ? They were held together by layers of paint and broke down if they moved more than 100 metres in a day
  13. Get the nigs to do it.
  14. Our BV was never cold.
  15. Thats the track pads, melted down then moulded to fit.