AFV Recognition for Cold War Warriors

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Retd_crab, Nov 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following B&T thread on ACTIVE EDGE here's a starter for 10.

Name that Tank

Attached Files:

2. Can I call it Dennis. Or is that name reserved for fire engines.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I concur, although my days of AFV recognition whilst in the Milan platoon meant that I could identify shilouettes easily, but give me something with colour I was goosed!..lol

• Like Like x 5
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

The name is painted on the side.

T62-M?

Picture may be of Afghantsi.

5. T62. Straight splash plate on front, IR searchlight on right of gun, fume extractor 3/4 along barrel

• Like Like x 4
  6. Yup, the loader is the left-handed, hunch-backed dwarf at the back...

Nice dog!

7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Don't forget the roadwheel gaps between 3-4 and 4-5 (of course of absolutely no use to the recce screen since they would only ever be seen head on).

And kicking out clouds of mud or dust anyway depending on season.

8. I think I can add to this - the guy holding the dog is Sukma Cocoff, he later became a disgraced intelligence officer in Third Shock Army (BRIXMIS may recall the incident) to his right is the man that replaced him, Ripma Bolocoff so named after the unfortunate incident with the dog.

• Like Like x 3
  9. [​IMG]

It is little known fact that the Soviet tanks were so simple to operate a dog could be trained to do it. The retention rates for canine crews were better than the conscripts so a trained canine tank commander was a good investment. The dog is actually Senior Sergeant Fidowksi, 35 Gds MRD.

The conscripts are simply there to feed and walk the dog. It is easier to train them to look after the dog than to operate a tank.

Rodney2q

• Like Like x 10
  10. Hence expression 'Dog's Bollox'.

• Like Like x 1
  11. T62 confirmed. 3 x bolt rather than the manditory 6 bolt T72 headlight fixings. 3 vertical press lines on front wings and front compo err coms bin included. On top of that my Ivan/Czech commie wife confirms it and that is good enough for me!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. For the next we need the variant. Hint Black and White and grainy probably means hostile

Attached Files:

13. btr-60 pu

That's the command antenna on top.

• Like Like x 1