AFV Rec

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Boxy, Jun 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone remember the phrase for teaching AFV recognition, WHAT & THAW ring bells but I think that's for Aircraft.....

2. T - TURRET
    H - HULL
    A - ADDITIONAL FEATURES/ARMAMENTS
    W - WHEELS

For rotary aircraft try :

R - ROTOR
    E - ENGINE
    F - FUSELAGE
    T - TAIL

3. or WEFT

W- Wings
    E - Engines
    F - Fuselage
    T - Tail

I always been under the impression that it was THAT (Turret, Hullet, Armament, Tracks) for AFV's. Learn someting new every day.

4. boll#x! all this WEFT sh##!
    you just look at the thing, if you recognise it great, if you don't, call a mate!

when I see an aircraft, I dont think 'right, it has high set, straight wings, four turbo-prop engines,round fusalage with u/carriage fairings on the side & a single tail fin with horizontal surfaces set at the top of the fusalage, so it has to be a hercules'

when I see a herc, I think oh, its a herc.
    same goes for any other a/craft.

6. when I see any other aircraft, I think its a jumbo jet! :p

7. I have to say, I'm inclined to agree with Press It. The whole thing (US technique is to start at the tracks and work upwards) is not particularly conducive to making snap decisions in the field. Whilst AFVID doesn't need to be an obsession such as it is for myself, there needs to be more emphasis on it than simply as a checklist/gate that needs to be passed before doing a gunnery which people look at only once or twice a year. Particularly when both friends and enemies are now using all sorts of vehicles, being able to tell a Polish T-72 from a Russian T-80 very quickly and without necessarily seeing the if the roadwheels are in pairs or if the driver has one or three periscopes suddenly becomes a lot more complicated than 'Small round turret, enemy, big square turret, friend'

One of those $15 Jane's Armoured Vehicle Recognition Books, and knowing it, would be a good start. I have a proper Armour and Artillery, but as I said, I take things a bit to extremes. Some computer games such as Steel Beasts can also be handy.

NTM