After Recent Loss: Who is Greatest Living Englishchap?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Andy_S, Sep 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

With Floyd having recently ascended to join Screaming Lord Sutch, Benny Hill, Terry Thomas, Sir Winston, Henry VIII, Henry V, Falstaff, et al on a barstool in the great British boozer in the sky....who do we have to take his place?

Clarkson? Thatcher (yes I know she is lacking in the trouser dept, but surely could be considered an honorary chap)? Caine? Andy McRyan?

Thin pickings. As a "race" we seem be getting:
    Less heroic;
    Less eccentric; and
    Generally less chappish.

The above point being so obvious that it does not (ahem) require any proof, I pose this question to the forum:
    How can England re-inject a dose of chappishness into the national body, thereby stiffening the collective upper lip?

(Also, while we appear to be overflowing with shysters, knackers, thugs and yobs, the nation also seems to be facing a severe shortage of cads, bounders and rotters....but that is a different question for a different day)
  2. I would say Clarkson as he is quite a loon, Lady Thatcher has got alziemers and doesn't know who she is from what I hear and have never heard of McRyan.

There is of course Timmy Mallett...mmm...maybe not...but Jimmy Savile is definate contender
  3. Boris Johnson.

Edited to add : (And) Sir Patrick Moore.
  4. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Spot on, Bojo must be a strong contender - but would his upper lip be stiff enough for trench warfare?

There is no question but that Keith Floyd would have revelled in that situation - as long as there was a can of bully beef, an improvized stove and a cooking implement (or rusty bayonet) to hand.

Andy McRyan (or is is Chris MacNab...?) writes mega-selling SAS faction and is a literary hero among Daily Mail readers.

Which now I think of it, makes Frederick Forsyth a possible.
  5. Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Mad, eccentric, very blokish and ex-Them.

Top of my list
  6. Ah, you mean Andy Mcnab, the bloke who wroet Bravo2Zero which he tried to pass off as a true account of the operation? No, he is a true knob.
  7. When I grow up, I'd like to be him.....Jack Bauer probably wears Ranulph Fiennes PJ's 8)
  8. dont forget to mention that he is the most highly decorated soldier in the British Army! (i am certain that he wouldnt overlook that fact)
  9. Is he still serving then? Wow, he is deep under cover, I thought he left years ago?
  10. We are all forgetting who should be Grand Master of the Noble Order of True Brits (although his parents weren't)

"Milords, Laydeeeez n' Chennelmen it is my honour (not an MP then) to present

HRH Phil the Greek"
  11. Colonel John Nicholas Blashford-Snell OBE (b. 1936): British army officer and explorer.

"John Blashford-Snell was educated at Victoria College, Jersey and at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, then commissioned into the Royal Engineers.

Amongst his expeditions have been the first descent of the Blue Nile (in 1968); crossing of the Darién Gap (1971 to 1972) and overseeing the first north–south vehicular journey from Alaska to Cape Horn; and a complete navigation of the Congo River (in 1974 to 1975).

In 1978 he established Operation Drake, which later developed into Operation Raleigh, an educational initiative for young people, of which he is Director General.

He was awarded the Segrave Trophy in 1974.

He is an enthusiast for Jowett Jupiter cars, having owned one for the years 1957 - 8.

In 2006 Blashford-Snell helped the London hatmakers James Lock to design a hat especially to meet the needs of explorers (as reported by Country Life under the headline, "Hats off to Blashers", 29 June 2006).

His publications include an autobiography, Something Lost Behind the Ranges (1994). Since 2001 he has been the Hon. Life President of the Centre for Fortean Zoology. He is also a member of the Ghost Club"
  12. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It's obvious really, ME!

Oh, hang on. It was 'living' was it? Damn that rues me out.
    Then I nominate John Prescott, for his services to grammar, the English language in general, his selfless devotion to duty, with no thought of reward, his dedication to stamping out sexual harrassment and his overwhelming modesty. Add to this his in depth knowledge and application to public relations and customer services and we have a winner.
  13. I can't believe no one has nominated Baron Castleshort...
  14. If honourary chaphoods are still going, what about Bill Bryson?
  15. Wicker, Bonington,Simpson, Ashdown,Attenbourgh, to name but a few