After advice on T Mobile

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bernoulli, Dec 2, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening folks.

I am thinking of changing my Mobile network provider to T Mobile. Anybody have any experience with this network, good/bad etc?
  2. I've been with T-Mobile since they were One2One and, before that, Mercury 1 2 1. I am happy with their service and with their price plan - I am on Everyone 200 off-peak which costs GBP15 per month. Daytime calls are 40p per minute which uis fairly expensive, but I don't use the phone much during the day.

One good thing about T-Mobile is it's free to pick up voicemail messages at any time of the day while in the UK. I don't think any other provider offers this.

Hope this helps.
  3. Sorry - daytime calls are 35p per minute!
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Though I do not have one, I gather that their phones are 'branded' and have non-removeable T-Mobile software which means that the phone may lack some functionality compared to a sim-free version.
  5. Best advice is to go to somewhere independent like Carphone Wharehouse. If you tell them exactly what you wnat to use the phone for (when you will use it mainly), they will set out the options for you. I've always found them to be very helpful.
  6. ...bloody hell - such a person exists! Kidding VB :D .

My brother has been with T Mobile from day one (when they were 1-2-1) but their service has been pretty up and down - their customer dept is not all that brilliant either - but that's his experience, and it might be something to do with the reception coverage of the area too.
  7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I have a phone, but not T-Mobile. I bought my K700i sim-free from Carphone Warehouse, but have a contract with 02 - I changed from Vodaphone. One advantage of buying sim-free (although initially more expensive) is that firmware upgrades etc are easily done. Apparently branded phones are much more difficult to upgrade. has forums about most mobiles, and the different networks.
  8. Network is crap. Not as bad as it used to be though. Especially bad around the verges of civilisation i.e. anywhere within 50 miles of a training area. Orange and Vodafone are the best for coverage and even O2's better than T-Mobile. Can't comment on rates.
  9. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Try going to The Link as well - I found that they offered excellent impartial advice on choice of phone and tariff etc
  10. In the old one to one days it wasn't nicknamed one to none for no reason, better now but still have lost of unexplained down time that seems to take days to recover.

I am currently on T-mobile and have been for years I am changing to Orange as this shower have no concept of reciprocating customer loyalty.

Try the which web site they have an online tool to compare prices and networks based on a few questions about your likely usage.

11. you can getthe phones unlocked for £5 in any private phone shop or computer fair, there is no loss of funtionality in either version locked/unlocked
    i do this to all my phones every time because i don't like to be tied to one network and i have a spare sim which i use as a back up and i want to use it
  12. Slightly off topic, which network is best for using your phone in Europe?
  13. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I used Deutche Telecom (which is the same as T Mobile). That gave 'roaming' coverage all over Europe. I also used it in Kuwait and Bosnia.