African Infantryman of the Year

Is that a returning Commando raid?

Tineye reverse search says it is the Dieppe raid.

Here is a (presumably colourised) image.

5b3499c034f04dcc729211acdbf7b86e5f9aeddff2f66ad93dbb27d97acb6911

Further shufti at Tineye shows this on Wikimedia Commons states:

File:British commandos who took part in Operation JUBILEE, the raid on Dieppe, returning to England, 19 August 1942​

Seems a rather pointless sacrifice of nearly a thousand men for little apparent reason. Looking at the expression on that bloke's face I think he knows it was an utter cock-up.

Oyibo

LE
Laces? Pffft...!

RfIsPRI.jpg

Back in the late '90s at a military club in London I got talking to a chap. He was, perhaps, mid 50s. We did the usual "what do you do now?" He said that he was a retired arms dealer, but had only made one deal which left him enough to retire on.

He turned out to be a very amusing chap - He had done a mahoosive deal with President Mobutu (or one of Mobutu's ministers) to supply the Zairean military with wellington boots. Apparently Mobutu had heard that Wellington was a great general so wanted the same type of boots for his army.

Back in the late '90s at a military club in London I got talking to a chap. He was, perhaps, mid 50s. We did the usual "what do you do now?" He said that he was a retired arms dealer, but had only made one deal which left him enough to retire on.

He turned out to be a very amusing chap - He had done a mahoosive deal with President Mobutu (or one of Mobutu's ministers) to supply the Zairean military with wellington boots. Apparently Mobutu had heard that Wellington was a great general so wanted the same type of boots for his army.

Cracking dit but sadly lacking in veracity me thinks.

Peter McAleese relates the same story with the Ugandan army in his book No Mean Soldier.

Wouldn't be at all surprised. Seemed to be the norm for the Stinkfoot Battalion to bimble about in wellies in those parts. I shudder to think what punishment their feet were taking in that heat and humidity.

Further shufti at Tineye shows this on Wikimedia Commons states:

File:British commandos who took part in Operation JUBILEE, the raid on Dieppe, returning to England, 19 August 1942​

Seems a rather pointless sacrifice of nearly a thousand men for little apparent reason. Looking at the expression on that bloke's face I think he knows it was an utter cock-up.

I had the pleasure of personally knowing one of the Canadians from the Essex Scottish who took part in the raid, and bitterness doesn’t cover the way he felt until his death. He wasn’t hesitant to talk about it at all because he knew it wasn’t a failing of the men, but of those who planned and ordered the raid. Dieppe was his first action and his last being part of Operation Atlantic where he became a casualty of the 1st SS Panzer Division. The thing that has stuck with me was his description when he compared the two, the fighting was beyond savage with no holds barred against the SS, while Dieppe was a folly that felt like being in a shooting gallery at a carnival and they were the ducks with the Allies high ups feeding in the coins.

Laces? Pffft...!

RfIsPRI.jpg

I clearly remember a large box going to Sarajevo airport for our very own loggies. It was marked "Boots, welly, green" (because that was what was inside) and we changed the description to something innocuous to avoid the box being nicked before it got to our blokes. The airport logs area was a morasse at the time.

I clearly remember a large box going to Sarajevo airport for our very own loggies. It was marked "Boots, welly, green" (because that was what was inside) and we changed the description to something innocuous to avoid the box being nicked before it got to our blokes. The airport logs area was a morasse at the time.
Just out of curiosity, what did you change the label to?

Latest Threads