African Infantryman of the Year

Starboard only applies when aboard or referring to naval craft, not a direction from land. FFS, bloody landlubber!

I remember a booze cruise out of Durban where the skipper referred to port and starboard. Again off Vancouver Island’s west coast, Wayne, our whale-watching boat skipper used “Port and starboard” - once he’d told everyone the difference.

Naval craft? Didnt think so at the time………

RTU'd

LE
This years winner.
1623861872198.png

But she's woman, man

TamH70

MIA
And notoriously inaccurate IIRC.
The Yanks love the Ishapore, IIRC, and I have never heard of them complaining about the accuracy of 'em. Maybe it is more likely to be that the Indians of the modern era are bad shots? Unlike their non-treasonous grand dads.

The Yanks love the Ishapore, IIRC, and I have never heard of them complaining about the accuracy of 'em. Maybe it is more likely to be that the Indians of the modern era are bad shots? Unlike their non-treasonous grand dads.
They don't know how to bed Lee Enfields over there, all of them just take what they get.

TamH70

MIA
You know when they said to treat your rifle like it was your girlfriend? I think you may have misunderstood a tad.

I had to sleep with my L85 A1 on numerous occasions. I always woke up feeling abused.

I had to sleep with my L85 A1 on numerous occasions. I always woke up feeling abused.

Medevaced a bloke who'd gone beddy byes with his AK in the Sudan and managed to put three rounds into his stomach and groin on full auto.

WALT

LE
Medevaced a bloke who'd gone beddy byes with his AK in the Sudan and managed to put three rounds into his stomach and groin on full auto.

There's no safety as such on an AK. That's just a position on the change lever that prevents you cocking it.
So he'd flipped the change lever down to auto and cocked it with a full mag. Then climbed into his gonk bag with it.
I suppose it's just fortunate that he managed to only slot himself.
Was he a melanin enhanced chap, by any chance?

Londo

LE
There's no safety as such on an AK. That's just a position on the change lever that prevents you cocking it.
So he'd flipped the change lever down to auto and cocked it with a full mag. Then climbed into his gonk bag with it.
IC3 and some bits

Likely had it with the ejection port closed in the safe position, possibly with a round chambered. Rolling around and over it at night could have moved the selector and triggered it.

We also used to evac around one or two a month who'd been shot in the nuts (jealous partners/rivals?) and quite a few snakebite cases.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
You've never used one have you ?

WALT

LE
You've never used one have you ?

Only stripped one. We were introduced to them in a "know your enemy" sort of way, unfortunately no ammo available.
But I really cannot see how you could make one ready without knowing it.
I am sure you have more experience with them than myself.

ETA:- it was along time ago but I seem to recall that one of them was a Chinese copy. Are the change levers on these even more basic (if that's at all possible)?

Last edited:

WALT

LE
Ok, I've been forced to look at some dodgy youtube videos. My browser history is not looking good. I've not seen any mention of being able to apply the safety after the AK is cocked, but this chap seems to be doing it, releasing it and then firing:-

It appears that I may have been doing the AK a bit of disservice and maybe it's not as basic as I thought.
The only defence that I can offer is that maybe our training team was a bit sniffy about it (this was in the days of THAT rifle) or the Chinese copy really was crap. I would be interested to hear from those that know and maybe bury 30 years of ignorance.

Latest Threads