African Infantryman of the Year

Looking at the first picture i assume he is trying to gain some height. It would surely be easier just to climb up the tree and get even more height plus stability and a degree of protection.

Looking at the second picture - not got the slightest idea. Looking at the alignment of the barrel an ND would put a round through both of his eyes. If only . . .

Last edited:
Looking at the first picture i assume he is trying to gain some height. It would surely be easier just to climb up the tree and get even more height plus stability and a degree of protection.

Looking at the second picture - not got the slightest idea. Looking at the alignment of the barrel an ND would put a round through both of his eyes. If only . . .
Gaining height is good ...

Dennis Croukamp mentions this in his book . Doing a reccy into Mozambique with Schulenberg and another scout , might have been Dave Scales.

As the terrain was flat but with hundreds of only smallish bushes in the way they navigated by following the power pylons and Schulenberg having Scales stand on his shoulders to look where to go.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Came across this bloke demonstrating his black magic powers by firing weapons into his gob and catching the round in his teeth.

View attachment 429038

Video here of him firing an AK into his mouth: Watch As African Soldier Fires Gun Into His Mouth To Demonstrate His Supernatural Bulletproof Ability

Looks a bit dubious to me as the AK doesn’t seem to discharge properly. He is probably a better magician (as in stage conjuror rather than juju) than a soldier.
be funny as F**k to swap it for a real one
encore encore !

Came across this bloke demonstrating his black magic powers by firing weapons into his gob and catching the round in his teeth.

View attachment 429038

Video here of him firing an AK into his mouth: Watch As African Soldier Fires Gun Into His Mouth To Demonstrate His Supernatural Bulletproof Ability

Looks a bit dubious to me as the AK doesn’t seem to discharge properly. He is probably a better magician (as in stage conjuror rather than juju) than a soldier.
Ja, local colleague who believes the black magic shit that protects Boko Haram showed me that a few months ago, all wide eyed and gullible. I pointed out the soft pop of a primer going off in an empty cartridge and the lack of movement of the action when it should be cycling. He very grudgingly admitted it's BS and sulked at me the rest of the day.

Sigski

Old-Salt
From the article:
"In the video trending on social media, the soldier fired three different guns into his mouth, one at a time.
After each shot, he spits out the bullet unharmed, although the last gun fired was followed with a little blood but he seemed fine.
This is in fact natural for most ancient Africans who posses the supernatural ability of rendering guns useless against them, and in our modern world this has become rare as so many Africans lost their ways by not learning from their forefathers."
Can't tell if a wind up or if Africans are really this stupid.

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
As a yarpie colleague once explained to me,

"What's the difference between tourism and racism in Africa?"

"About three weeks."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

"About three weeks."

Yep.
Doesn't take long before I fcuking hate those white sightseers.

Ja, local colleague who believes the black magic shit that protects Boko Haram showed me that a few months ago, all wide eyed and gullible. I pointed out the soft pop of a primer going off in an empty cartridge and the lack of movement of the action when it should be cycling. He very grudgingly admitted it's BS and sulked at me the rest of the day.
From the article...

This is in fact natural for most ancient Africans who posses the supernatural ability of rendering guns useless against them, and in our modern world this has become rare as so many Africans lost their ways by not learning from their forefathers.

...and of course in 1879, several thousand Zulu's found out that not only were they not bulletproof but that cowhide shields were not parrticularly effective against the Martini-Henry service rifle... :rolleyes:

From the article:

Can't tell if a wind up or if Africans are really this stupid.
The (thankfully) few I've known over the years were, to a man, as thick as elephant shit.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru

"About three weeks."

The version I heard (from the wife of our Anglican vicar after she'd too much punch at a Twelfth Night party) was the difference between a missionary and a racist in Africa.

Yep.
Doesn't take long before I fcuking hate those white sightseers.
Coastal types get pissed off with the Vaalies on holiday as well. Call them 'kydaars' (Kyk daar [look there]. Rhymes with radars and means lookie theres) due to the habit of wandering around aimlessly with their kids on their shoulders and the kid pointing at everything and uttering that phrase on repeat.

Quoting myself here. Bad form, I know but same colleague who has a brother in the military fighting Boko Haram reckons his brother told him they're bulletproof in an attack due to some witchdoctor shit they practice, running through sustained fire by the the army unscathed. I pointed out to him that it was highly likely his brother and the rest of his mob were just plain fucking shit at using their bundooks, and grabbing the trigger as hard as they can while squeezing their eyes shut doesn't enhance either range or accuracy.

More sulking ensued.

I imagine only being able to fire an AK vertically is a hindrance to military effectiveness.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Mufulira

Old-Salt
I imagine only being able to fire an AK vertically is a hindrance to military effectiveness.
Hollywood has much to answer for this new technique of sideways shooty- shooty over head, that's why bolt actions are no longer in favour -- imagine holding SMLE sideways to fend off the 'maliwongos' as they rush your pos'n!

the 'maliwongos'
There's a term I haven't heard for a long time; along the Swahili coast they're known as 'Kidachi'. The last time I was at Bagamoyo (turn of the century, I admit), I heard old tales of the sort of reprisals to be expected for talking back to a German. The Hanging Tree is still there, I believe, with a plaque to tell of the current political view of such activity.