African Infantryman of the Year

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It looks like it was made from leftovers and I have my doubts as to it's anti-ballistic capabilities............is sheet steel and plywood bulletproof?
Depends entirely on the construction and velocity of the bullets.

Depends entirely on the construction and velocity of the bullets.
I saw the Myth Busters proggie where they lined a car with a layer of phone books which worked for most calibres up to around 7.62mm. We tried it on the range just using an old boot lid and yes indeedy it does work with pistol calibres and variably* with rifle calibres (5.56, 7.62x39). The theory being that the sheet steel absorbs the bulk of the kinetic energy of the round and the phone books are then enough to stop/slow down what is left - in the spirit of experimentation we wet the phone books on the second time around and that worked much better.

So if you ever find yourself in an A Team predicament get a Tranny van and line it with wet phone books.

Note: * it seemed to depend on if it hit a double layer of sheet steel or a single layer.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
So if you ever find yourself in an A Team predicament get a Tranny van and line it with wet phone books.
I'm looking for an AT&T van lined with wet trannys.

Scope was the best magazine in Rhodi/Zimbo . If you could smuggle one in from SA.
Ja, just before they folded the nipple stars disappeared and clunge dangling in the breeze made it into print. My thrapping reached new levels of frenzy.

This is a thing of great beauty - but does balsa wood not only protect against bullets but also witchcraft?
Balsa is expensive and scarce in those parts of the world. My guess is plyboard/rhinoboard or mild steel sheeting.

And a witchdoctor with a convincing line in mumbo jumbo.

Crew bloke wearing el cheapo construction worker safety hat poking out of the rear hatch good for a chuckle but the funniest bit is the frog faced Engineer No1 at the end wibbling on in a confused manner while drumming up more true believers to hand over their cash.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I saw the Myth Busters proggie where they lined a car with a layer of phone books which worked for most calibres up to around 7.62mm. We tried it on the range just using an old boot lid and yes indeedy it does work with pistol calibres and variably* with rifle calibres (5.56, 7.62x39). The theory being that the sheet steel absorbs the bulk of the kinetic energy of the round and the phone books are then enough to stop/slow down what is left - in the spirit of experimentation we wet the phone books on the second time around and that worked much better.

Note: * it seemed to depend on if it hit a double layer of sheet steel or a single layer.
Cracking work, I'll remember that next time I need some impromptu MacGyver style body armour. Get a convenient yellow pages, piss on. it and strap it and a biscuit tin lid to the chest area.

There's more comedy gold from Ghana..
Its like one of these crap animations at the start of an episode of Thunderbirds. Wonder if that's where this guy gets his inspiration. What were the wing things about? I lost my coffee when it started shitting exploding cabbages.

I can only assume the blokes standing around in uniform are a bunch of employees dressed up to add some colour to the whole pantomime. Surely even in Ghana those with staff rank aren't going to turn up and watch crap like that without collapsing into a laughing fit. On the other hands it is Africa.

Cracking work, I'll remember that next time I need some impromptu MacGyver style body armour. Get a convenient yellow pages, piss on. it and strap it and a biscuit tin lid to the chest area.
That’s the ticket, you’ll be an honorary Ghanaian in no time.

You simply must let us know how that all works out for you.

Instructions in an envelope marked "To be opened in the event of my death" should do the trick.

It is hard to know where to start - but super-robo-soldiers have come to Africa.

:rofl:
I'm waiting for the advert featuring Ewan McGregor and a suitably concerned & sincere expression to ask:

"For just £5 a month you can supply Kwame & his family with robotic exo-skeletons that make you walk like you shat yourself."

You simply must let us know how that all works out for you.

Instructions in an envelope marked "To be opened in the event of my death" should do the trick.
They are not even as thick as a decent paperback.

Mythbusters used 2 or three thick directories black nastied together, we tried with two taped together behind a bootlid and it sort of worked - dunking in a bucket of water over lunch break and then trying again worked better. I personally would not want to risk my life relying on it unless I happened to end up in some sort desperate MacGyver situation.

Years ago I attended a body armour demo in the UK where the company demonstrated its products. As an opener they pulled an old army greatcoat out of a barrel of water and shot at it with a .38. The sopping wet coat stopped the round. However, the same coat was shredded when 9mm and 5.56mm were used.