African Doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by EX_STAB, May 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So what can I hope to get that would be of practical use?

This would be for actual use as intended.

So far the cheapest I can find is a s/h Westley Richards boxlock non-ejector (!) for nearly £9000

I just can't find that much money for one, what alterantive options are there
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Baikal do one but as you know its never going to be a classic. I was nagged to find a .375 H&H Double for a client with a 5K limit. I did explain that it wasnt going to be easy. If you check out POantiles Guns they sometimes have some nice examples around, that and the usual auctions.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There was one in 45/70 for sale on the HBSA website for a while, I cant remember the name but it was an Italian!
  4. I would think of 45/70 as being just about the lower end of the scale for a double rifle although I'm happy to be educated on this point.

I would think of something more in the 500 Nitro Express or 577 department.

That said, lots of people use 375 H&H magnum which can't have that much more thump (if any) than a top end (modern action) 45/70.....
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm sure that Factory modern 45/70 as used in Ruger No1s etc is enough beast for bears etc.
  6. Try John Hutchins at Fultons (he trades separately as Kings Shilling Antiques); he usually carries stock of nice double rifles - many re-imported from India.
  7. have you tried Merkel?

not sure what price the importers could get you one for or second hand prices - they're imported by Viking Arms btw
  8. When I was based in Germany, I remember that Frankonia used to sell a Pedersolli double in 45-70 called the Kodiak. I think they also used the name for a muzzle loading double rifle.
    One of my mates is a gunsmith and he made his own out of an old Midland .410 double. He got 2 .303 barrels and mated them to the action after he'd cut off the chambers and re-cut a 32-20 chamber in them. It's a fabulous little rifle, but could hardly be classed as an "african" double unless you want a dedicated for rock dassies and porcupines.
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

11. Nothing wrong with boxlock non ejectors in double rifles. There are no case-sticking issues with metallic cases, they simply drop out with a flick of the wrist. Also, with ejectors the expensive empties tend to fly off into the long grass.

I've got a .450 .400 English boxlock Non ejector and I'll be in Zimbabwe using it on Cape buffalo three weeks from today.

I wouldn't bother getting a double smaller than mine. IMHO opinion a scoped 375 H&H makes a fantastic one-gun African battery, but you cannot beat an old double for nostalgia.

I think Butch Searcy Field Grade doubles start at USD9000 which is a snip.
  12. FYI

There was a new Baikal 45-70 for sale in Gunmart earlier this year for £675.

Wilson & Wilson Fieldsports Ltd (Ramsgate Kent) had a few doubles advertised.

8x57 Bettinsoli double was £1250
    8 x 57 Browning B25 £5010

New Merkel
    470 NE 160 £11400
    470 NE 140 / 416 Rigby / 375 HMH £6600

Above with swing off 30mm mounts + 1.25-4 illum scope
  13. What do you want to shoot with it? If its elephant and rhino then I see where you are coming from , but the 9.3x74 was an ever good plains cartrige, lion down, i have a x64, or is it x62, and the boar here hate it!!