African Doubles

#1
So what can I hope to get that would be of practical use?

This would be for actual use as intended.

So far the cheapest I can find is a s/h Westley Richards boxlock non-ejector (!) for nearly £9000

I just can't find that much money for one, what alterantive options are there
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#2
Baikal do one but as you know its never going to be a classic. I was nagged to find a .375 H&H Double for a client with a 5K limit. I did explain that it wasnt going to be easy. If you check out POantiles Guns they sometimes have some nice examples around, that and the usual auctions.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#4
There was one in 45/70 for sale on the HBSA website for a while, I cant remember the name but it was an Italian!
 
#5
ugly said:
There was one in 45/70 for sale on the HBSA website for a while, I cant remember the name but it was an Italian!
I would think of 45/70 as being just about the lower end of the scale for a double rifle although I'm happy to be educated on this point.

I would think of something more in the 500 Nitro Express or 577 department.

That said, lots of people use 375 H&H magnum which can't have that much more thump (if any) than a top end (modern action) 45/70.....
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#6
I'm sure that Factory modern 45/70 as used in Ruger No1s etc is enough beast for bears etc.
 
#7
Try John Hutchins at Fultons (he trades separately as Kings Shilling Antiques); he usually carries stock of nice double rifles - many re-imported from India.
 
#9
ugly said:
There was one in 45/70 for sale on the HBSA website for a while, I cant remember the name but it was an Italian!
When I was based in Germany, I remember that Frankonia used to sell a Pedersolli double in 45-70 called the Kodiak. I think they also used the name for a muzzle loading double rifle.
One of my mates is a gunsmith and he made his own out of an old Midland .410 double. He got 2 .303 barrels and mated them to the action after he'd cut off the chambers and re-cut a 32-20 chamber in them. It's a fabulous little rifle, but could hardly be classed as an "african" double unless you want a dedicated for rock dassies and porcupines.
 
#13
Nothing wrong with boxlock non ejectors in double rifles. There are no case-sticking issues with metallic cases, they simply drop out with a flick of the wrist. Also, with ejectors the expensive empties tend to fly off into the long grass.

I've got a .450 .400 English boxlock Non ejector and I'll be in Zimbabwe using it on Cape buffalo three weeks from today.

I wouldn't bother getting a double smaller than mine. IMHO opinion a scoped 375 H&H makes a fantastic one-gun African battery, but you cannot beat an old double for nostalgia.

I think Butch Searcy Field Grade doubles start at USD9000 which is a snip.
 
#14
FYI

There was a new Baikal 45-70 for sale in Gunmart earlier this year for £675.

Wilson & Wilson Fieldsports Ltd (Ramsgate Kent) had a few doubles advertised.

8x57 Bettinsoli double was £1250
8 x 57 Browning B25 £5010

New Merkel
470 NE 160 £11400
470 NE 140 / 416 Rigby / 375 HMH £6600

Above with swing off 30mm mounts + 1.25-4 illum scope
 
#15
What do you want to shoot with it? If its elephant and rhino then I see where you are coming from , but the 9.3x74 was an ever good plains cartrige, lion down, i have a x64, or is it x62, and the boar here hate it!!
 
#16
I think I'd be looking at the sort of calibres that aren't practical in a bolt action. Otherwise I'd just use the bolt action.

Bullet placement etc. but what do you really want when there's ten yards of mopani between you and an outraged buff?

I don't know the answer but don't want to find out the hard way.
 
#17
EX_STAB said:
I think I'd be looking at the sort of calibres that aren't practical in a bolt action. Otherwise I'd just use the bolt action.

Bullet placement etc. but what do you really want when there's ten yards of mopani between you and an outraged buff?

I don't know the answer but don't want to find out the hard way.

I used to use an FAL (and wear brown trousers).....
 
#18
4(T) said:
EX_STAB said:
I think I'd be looking at the sort of calibres that aren't practical in a bolt action. Otherwise I'd just use the bolt action.

Bullet placement etc. but what do you really want when there's ten yards of mopani between you and an outraged buff?

I don't know the answer but don't want to find out the hard way.

I used to use an FAL (and wear brown trousers).....
Nuff said! I gather semi-autos are frowned upon in ZA though aren't they? Or am I getting mixed up?

(Not that it's the answer of course but I'd gladly have one along!) :D
 

Latest Threads

Top