AFPS75 and Mobilisation.

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by wedge_cadman, Jan 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

A quick question for all those who understand the dark arts that are pension schemes.

On mobilisation can I have contributions added to my existing AFPS75 scheme or am I better starting a new civvy scheme?

I realise 75 no longer runs, but if it's possible to add to it, is it worth it? I already have 12 years in that scheme.

Regards
    WC

Sent from my iPhone using the ARRSE application. No excuse for fat fingers. Learn to spell.

2. You cannot add to your AFPS 75 preserved pension. RFPS has the advantage of having no 'vesting period' which means that even short period of service will result in a pension entitlement, no matter how small.

3. Up to 2005 you could add to APFS75.. in fact the deal was very good...

However someone did the sums, and chopped it for the (comparativly) shitty RFPS or you can get the system to pay your employer's occupational pension payments, however you still have to pay your contribution..

Which I consider unfair, as your military salary is abated to take into account your non-contributary pension!

Heads they win, tails you lose..

4. ahh the kicker though is that the injuries payments under rfps are way better than under the old afps 75 system, not because 75 wasnt fair when it was setup but because the ammounts detailed never increased (only the service pensions ever went up) so had the last bunch of idiots in charge not signed us up to the pension cut that is afps 05 we would all be stuck up shit creek without a paddle if /when the bad news came and were injured or gone (in the case of our dependants) when 05 came in the only reason i swapped over was the dependant benefits package was double the 75 scheme, as it turns out the medical side is also way better..... i bet gordon no boom or bust brown never thought so many people would need paying out under it when they set it all up...