AFPS 75 1994 redundancy packages

I left after 9 years service in 1994 under phase 2 redundancy. At the time I recall being told I would receive lump sum at 55 then pension index linked back to my leaving date to my leaving date. On a recent pension forecast I was told no penguin until 64 and no lump sum at 55 ( next month ). I have not been able to find any info through army pension service anyone else in the same boat ?

You left with 9 years service. That means that you would have received a redundancy lump sum and your pension benefits would have been preserved until age 60.

Age 55 only has relevance for those who left with an Immediate Pension as that is the age at which the CPI rises are applied to the pension. You mention age 64 - I do not recognise that as a significant age (in pension terms). AFPS 75 changed its preserved pension age to 65 for service on and after 6 April 2006 - but you left long before this change came about so would not be affected.

You left with 9 years service. That means that you would have received a redundancy lump sum and your pension benefits would have been preserved until age 60.

Age 55 only has relevance for those who left with an Immediate Pension as that is the age at which the CPI rises are applied to the pension. You mention age 64 - I do not recognise that as a significant age (in pension terms). AFPS 75 changed its preserved pension age to 65 for service on and after 6 April 2006 - but you left long before this change came about so would not be affected.
Thanks for the update 64 was a typo and should have been 65. When made redundant I was on open engagement and recall being told there was a payout at 55 then reserved pension going forward. Not sure if each corps had different terms but pensions forcast from army pensions office still states 65 not 60

I suspect that you don't have in writing what you recall being told. Do you recall who told you and was it a formal presentation or just a chinwag with others?

During service from the 70's to the 90's I regularly was correctly informed that if you left before your IPP you got your preserved pension at 60 (as advised by the FPS above). I have a few friends still waiting for, and just short of, that point.

Everybody had the same Terms of Service so not sure where you might have picked that idea up from either.

I think more recent pension schemes have the preserved point now linked to the state pension age - But you are not on those schemes. Not sure what your APC forecast is saying - perhaps contact FPS for advice?

Not sure why you get a penguin either - now that is a good typo :)

Thanks for the update 64 was a typo and should have been 65. When made redundant I was on open engagement and recall being told there was a payout at 55 then reserved pension going forward. Not sure if each corps had different terms but pensions forcast from army pensions office still states 65 not 60

If you didn't get it in writing, you have got very little chance of any good news.

I left after 9 years service in 1994 under phase 2 redundancy.

I thought redundancy under Options for Change was a minimum of 12 years Service.

I have a feeling that you were sneakily discharged under the 9 year manning control point.

I take it to mean that, as he had only 9 years' service, he received the redundancy lump sum only. If he had 12 years' service he would have received more as he would have also been entitled to the equivalent of 12/22nd as an annual income plus a lump sum of three times the pension.

I thought redundancy under Options for Change was a minimum of 12 years Service.

I have a feeling that you were sneakily discharged under the 9 year manning control point.
no I revived a redundancy package actually served more than 9 years but joined as a junior leader so pensionable service is only valid form 18th birthday.

The poster will need to clarify - I read it as he received nothing on leaving and would get a lump sum at 55.
Revived redundancy package on leaving in 94 and recall all be it 28 years ago so the mist of time play a big part but have always believed that the terms were a half pension index linked and reserved to be paid out at the age of 55 the lump sum I mentioned and then full pension from then on.

I suspect that you are probably right in being remembered through the mists of time.

Were you in a briefing with lots of others leaving at the same time? I left in 1992 when lots were also going through “Options”, we were all on different types of leaving and some in different tranches with different options. However I remember being in a financial briefing where lots of different options were discussed- and most did not apply to me.

It sounds like you have picked up on how “commutation of pension” was briefed - but you were not eligible for it. I was as I was past my IPP and I did commute my pension, so got a reduced pension (about half) which remained the same for years and when I was 55 got it restored to pay in full index linked (IIRC).

The redundancy scheme didn't change much until 2005/6 but the changes would not impact anyone retrospectively. With the pre-2005/6 arrangement there are two things to be considered when someone is being made redundant. The first is have they met the threshold for redundancy payment to be due and the second is had they reached the threshold for the pension to be paid early. It is quite possible to qualify for the redundancy lump sum (the Special Capital Payment) but not have served long enough to qualify for the pension to be paid early.

Just for the information of other reader of this exchange, attached is an extract from the Army Pensions Warrant. You will see, particularly from the last para, that those who left with 12 or more years reckonable service (RS) received their pension as well as their redundancy lump sum and those who left with more that 2 years RS but less than 12, received a redundancy lump sum but had to wait until preserved pension age to claim their pension. The preserved pension age was 60 and the extract contains no provision that would change that.

I have, of course, corresponded directly with Stewr.

Attachments

• Part 9 Redundancy—Compensation Terms.docx
    102.6 KB · Views: 4
Can anyone advise me please? I was medically discharged in 2007 with a head injury. I am in receipt of a medical pension had a lump sum on discharge. I served 12 years so do I still get a half pension at 55/60?? I was on AFPS 75.

Latest Threads