Afps 2015

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by BiscuitsAB, Aug 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

2. If I have read this document correctly the most interesting point is pensionable service continues upto 5yrs after leaving if rejoining again?

So is it possible for a soldier to complete 17yrs in service with a 5yr breather back in civvy street in the middle to get the full 22yrs?

Even more crafty would be to join up, do a year, sign off, so now at 2yr point, 5yrs as a civvy, another 2yrs as a soldier, 5yrs as a civvy, 2yrs as a soldier and so on. 2yrs in +5yrs off +2yrs in +5yrs off +2yrs in +5yrs off + 1yr in would give you 22yrs service with only 7yrs actual service and 15 as a civvy?

Surely I have read this wrong or misunderstood.
  3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I suspect you've miss read it, if you can point me to the specifics I'll read through it.
  4. Sure, Page 19/35 (Members who leave and rejoin)

Also Page 10/35 ''A break of 5yrs or less will be treated as continuous service for indexation''
  5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Ah unfortunately not what you were hoping I'm afraid.

Basically it means that if you leave and rejoin within 5 years then they will view you as not of having the break. Therefore there will be a penalty for those that leave and re-join after a period of 4 years 366 days.
  6. Here is an idea : when the pension comes in in 2015 I will have accrued 30 years of pension 75 now as this pension scheme is ending can i then take the benefits of this pension ie lump some monthly income surely if the government are stopping my pension i should have what is owed before i start on the second one .
  7. No comment.

Leave it to the big boys and girls.
  8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Depends on how old you are at that point?
  9. Because the Treasury would look like a smashed piggy bank?
  10. No, read the Briefing paper - it is quite explicit that if you were over 45 this April (which you must be) then you aren't affected by FAFPS.

For others just below this age then you transfer 75 accrued rights earned into the new scheme. Not a major drama though and, because you will then get the service earned pre-21 (as converts to 2005 earlier had) and you will find that you are no worse off and will still get the terminal grant lump sum too.

You still get the opportunity to take Resettlement communtation earned on the 75 scheme earned to 2015 if you decide to leave in 2015. Only people who have recently joined and those who join after 2015 have anything to worry about FAFPS.

I am in the same boat but a little more water under the bridge.