AFPRB 2017 Report

Unless i've missed it....it's all very quiet out there.

It's usually out by early March or so, and here we are, mid.March and still nothing.....

Now, I'm not silly enough to think that this means anything more than that they have very little to say. ...but in last year's report they were stating that a lots of speciality and retention pay was to be reviewed properly in this report.

I suppose that the big question is, that when the 1% is finally announced. ..how independent can we consider the AFPRB? Surely if they are simply recommending the Governement direction's, then it''s no longer independent.

Should the board not make recommendations based on its findings and then allow the Government to say that they won't follow them? Wouldn't that be a more equitable solution ?

That is something I have been saying for a while - they should recommend any amount and then government pay-restraint policy ignores it.

Contrast to the MP's own independent body - IPSA - which I understand at some point during pay restraint, gave a 10% rise. Looking at figures, in 2010 the annual salary for an MP was 65k. In Apr 16 it was 74k.

Now compare that to the closest wage being paid to someone serving - which was a Level 1 OF-4 - in 2010 they were getting 67k. In 2016 they were getting 70k.

Apparently in 2016 MPs got 1.3%, 'in line with the rate of annual change of average earnings'.

Pay and expenses for MPs

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I guess most of us won't know until we check on JPA on the 3rd.

My spider sense tells me a few RRPs are going to get scrapped.
Blokes have just filled out surveys asking how they would feel if RRP (Para) gets taken off them, combine that with the flat rate LSA rumours doing the rounds it's not looking good.

If they think they have a retention problem they are struggling to hide now, take more money off people in the current climate.
That'll sort it...

The main pay run is on the 16th I believe - so I don't think we'll get a pay rise in Apr pay. Unless they already know what the figure is.
Agreed but if you look in your Information Views 3rd or 4th tab down on your JPA user home page there is a salary tab which should be updated on the 1st to reflect your new pay rate. Bloody hell I'm turning into a helpful version of Sluggy.

What - so when they praise the security forces they don't look like massive hypocrites as we get an Irish pay rise that's below inflation and way below the corresponding rise in accommodation costs?

My spider sense tells me a few RRPs are going to get scrapped.
Blokes have just filled out surveys asking how they would feel if RRP (Para) gets taken off them, combine that with the flat rate LSA rumours doing the rounds it's not looking good.

If they think they have a retention problem they are struggling to hide now, take more money off people in the current climate.
That'll sort it...
Mate I've got 1000 days if they bring in a flat rate of LSA that'll be the a huge insult!

1%. Surprise, surprise.

"Pensions were another key theme: the introduction of the Armed Forces Pension Scheme 2015 (AFPS15) elicited many negative comments, particularly from some senior ranks, who we note may well have lived through three pension schemes and, while it may be true that their pension is not as good as it was, their negative views appeared to us to be having an unfortunate corrosive effect on junior ranks. We encountered extensive suspicion that further inroads into the pension scheme were being contemplated."

Sorry to any junior ranks me monking about my reduced pension has had a corrosive effect on.