AFPRB 2007 AHPs & Nurses!

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by RAF_Nurse!, Mar 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, at least the MOD and government did as they've been asked by the board for the last 2 years and reviewed the dire situation in the DMS (i.e. pay / conditions)!! NOT!

Any thoughts?

I cant believe another report has come and gone, yet still they offer us nothing as an incentive to stay bar a narrowing pay margin with the junior ranks and NHS. Those guys and girls at the bottom definately needed and deserved it, but what about us? You cant rely on junior and inexperienced staff to run sections!
    Not a good move for retention!

Thanks AFPRB, Thanks MOD, Thanks Labour!
  2. narrowing pay??
    junior ptes in army getting between 4 and 9% payrise

thats an extra 100 beertokens a month - better than most are getting
  3. Yes-narrowing 'cos our pay has not been allowed to rise at the same rate as 'theirs'.

As i said, i'm chuffed 'someone' did okay out of it, but for SNCO's 'and up' its just pants! I can't believe they seriously expect skilled staff with experience to hang around.

I believe the PVR stats speak volumes.... MOD 'dont see' a problem because 'reasonable' numbers of new recruits apparently 'replace' them!! B*ll*cks!
  4. MOD are looking at numbers but not at experience, quality and ability. 200 new recruits cannot replace 200 disillusioned SNCOs/WOs/Officers but as long as the numbers stack up the "bean counters" appear to be satisfied.
  5. Specific groups

4.12 We recommended in our 2006 Report that MOD should review the position for Service Nurses and Allied Health Professions and present any pay proposals for this report. We comment on MOD’s evidence for Allied Health Professions below but we are disappointed to note that evidence on Service Nurses has been delayed. We hope to report on Nurses in our Supplementary Report on the Defence Medical Services. We also called for evidence to review Reserves’ Bounties.

Allied Health Professions

MOD updated us on the manning and pay position for Allied Health Professions (AHPs) and proposals for specific pay arrangements under JPA. Military AHPs cover 14 different cadres and, within those cadres, varied jobs and careers across the three Services. Pressure was building from the NHS where 99 per cent of non-Medical staff had moved to “Agenda for Change” pay arrangements delivering significant average earnings growth. While Continuous Attitude Surveys indicated military AHPs were broadly content with salary comparisons, MOD’s assessment against the NHS showed a mixed picture. The comparisons suggested that, generally, Other Ranks were ahead of the NHS until Senior NCO level where military pay flattened out and fell behind the NHS, although this varied considerably according to which NHS pay band was used for comparison. For Officers, military pay was behind the NHS until OF3 where it moved ahead.
    MOD predicted manning balance would be achieved by 2010 although 9 of the 14 AHP cadres had manning shortfalls. It added that manning requirements across the DMS were under review and, overall, the RN and RAF were currently in balance. However, the Army had shortfalls mainly among Biomedical Scientists, Operating Department Practitioners, Pharmacists and Radiographers. Despite these shortages, operational commitments were being met at the expense of other roles and with tri-Service support. The three Services considered short term measures were required to address manning including improvements to training, aligning promotion, considering a move to all graduate entrants being Commissioned Officers, improving Direct Entrant terms of service and professional education support. In addition, the RN had introduced a £10,000 retention bonus for Submariner Medical Assistants. MOD concluded that retaining experienced AHPs in the longer term would require pay differences with the NHS to be addressed. To achieve this, separate pay arrangements were proposed to “flexibly” reward military abilities, experience and additional clinical skills. The proposed solution was being considered under MOD’s Strategic Remuneration Review and therefore might not be in place until 2011.4.15
    We recognise the difficulties MOD faces in addressing the competition for AHPs with new NHS pay and career arrangements. Shortages of military AHPs tend to reflect those more widely in the NHS and early establishment of revised manning requirements would help. Pay comparisons indicate that the NHS will continue to present an attractive option to experienced military AHPs, a view firmly expressed on our visits. However, achieving exact pay comparability across the disparate AHP groups and career paths may prove difficult and therefore MOD’s intended flexible approach to a pay solution is welcomed. However, the lengthy delay to implementation will risk further recruitment and retention difficulties. We endorse MOD’s proposals to introduce new pay arrangements at the earliest opportunity and call for further evidence under MOD’s Strategic Remuneration Review.
    4.16 We consider, as did those AHPs we met on visits, that addressing career concerns will be equally important to achieving manning balance by 2010. While operational commitments are being met, it is possible that frequent deployments could impact on the training required for career progression and ultimately influence retention. In this regard, we are pleased to note MOD’s moves to align training and promotion, to widen the opportunities to commission and to look at Direct Entry routes.
  6. The solution outlined therein (if you could call it that) sounds like a load of ARRSE! It will be interesting to see what rubbish they come up with for nurses.
  7. when does the supplementary review come out? any rise is a good rise.
  8. If you consider the 2006 AFPRB report (released February 2006), the supplement for the DMS came out in July of that year. Sort of suggests a time frame?! Check out pages 27-28 (of 2006 supplement) for info on previous years.
  9. I'm a Senior NCO and it's not pants. with a 3.4% pay rise (I Know cos I've worked it out), I'm happy enough - could be worse, could be 1.9% like our NHS colleagues
  10. The discrepancy between NHS and AHPs is alarming! I am leaving soon and as a basic grade band 6 BMS, my basic is below that what I'm on now but I make with on-call. In fact up to 4K per year more!

The comments in para 4.14 said that effects will not take place until 2011! For fecks sake, thats way too late! Something needs to be done now, not in 4 years time! As for direct entrant commissions, not in my trade thank you! we need experience on deployment, not junior NHS trained officers who have no clue (is it me or does that sound like the TA? Or some of them!).

Well its all too late for me but to stop my glorious lovely trade becoming a joke in manning terms, do something now! Not in 4 years where all you'll have to do is switch off the lights!
  11. Exactly, my feathered friend,

Why leave and do the same job in Civi street, but for less money?

Wee man.
  12. and dont forget the 'hosiery allowance' my deminutive friend
  13. Indeed they do,
    However, I feel that for some they would best be used over the head. Could this increase retention???

Wee man.
  14. Depends who has worn them before hand wee-man :pukel:
  15. ME!!!