Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Goku, Jun 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My battalion is heading out to Afghanistan next year and they are asking us to volunteer.
    I’m of to minds on weather or not I should go.
    On one hand it would really hurt my civilian career if I were to go. On the other hand I really want to go, after all I joined the TA to be a part time soldier not to be a walt and I think the experience would be good for me.

I would like to hear what other TA soldiers have to say about volunteering, and also I’d like to hear from anyone who has served in Afghanistan, what is it like over there?

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Goku -

Don't get carried away...

We were warned about a possible deployment of a composite Company, and not just from a single Bn either.

Also, we've been this close before (Kosovo, even closer) to being mobilised, and not been called.

As to 'volunteering', if you play your cards right then your employer won't know you've volunteered - you'll just be called up as normal.

You already voulnteered when you joined the TA :)

3. I volunteered for Boz back in 95 and never looked back - you might never get the chance again but you can always get another job. Think how you would feel in ten years time, still in the same job and wishing you could turn the clock back.

4. This was confirmed by our CO over the weekend, so it is happening. They are only taking volunteers as they don’t want people to find themselves unemployed when they return, so if you don’t want to go, you don’t have to go.

If I decided to go then I would find myself unemployed when I returned as I am a contractor on an indefinite contract.

I’m just interested to find out what Afghanistan is like and what others have to say about volunteered service.
    I’m not asking anyone to make my mind up for me, I can do that myself.

5. Got to be carefull that I don't give my identity away here.

Short story is that I was mobilised at a key point in my career and it royally shafted me. Here I am more than a year after getting back and I'm still getting my career back on track with changes in the way people are promoted and missed oportunities.

In fairness, it was due to a lack of knowledge on what I could do at the time. For example, by deffering my mobilisation by a couple of months, it would have been far better for me. I think that the army should make all of these options known to the TA.

In your case it comes down to whether you think that it's a good time for you to go or not. I thought that you were a crow and hadn't done any trade training yet? No offence, but how usefull would you be anyway?

I seem to have ranted on for a while, so I'll stop, but I leave with this.

If you have to get your employer to object for you because you're scared to go, then F*CK OFF OUT OF THE TA, YOU TRENCH DODGING B@STARDS!!!

6. Tiffy - three rounds a minute? Even an AS 90 can manage more than that! 8)

7. 307

307 War Hero

Check Pm and get abck to me!

8. Your right I am a crow, but I should be traded up by the time it all kicks off :D

9. Don't get me wrong, any motivated person is usefull to have, but a traded one is more usefull. What trade would you be?

10. 307

307 War Hero

Not neccesseraly tiffy, e.g RA trade training, being guns trade makes you no more useful in a light infantry role.

11. I would think a modicum of common sense would have to be applied there, 307 me old china.

12. I’m going to be a recy mech, and I agree with you, a traded person is more useful. If I’m not traded up by then, then I wont want to go.

13. G,

If you're all sorted by then I'd recommend going. I was there 01/02 at the start so I think conditions have probably improved (depending on where you're going of course). The country itself is a dirty, grotty place and the best example of what 20 years of war can do to a place (Kabul and Bagram are trashed). The people are generally OK, in the same sort of way they are in most similar countries (pleasant (to your face at least), wary and after ripping you off if they can). If you go you'll probably pick up some sort of illness, especially chest infections due to the dirt and dust (high feaces content).

Freezing in winter and boiling in summer.

It'll give you a good grounding as to what Operations are all about and then you'll be able to figure out how long you want to stay :)

Hope that helps

14. Im currently in Afghanistan, as a civvy, depends which base and were in country they are thinking of deploying, heard a few rumours about a were Brits would be going. Kabul airport isnt a bad place to get, but been to other bases and would only worked there if I had to. If you need any more info PM me with anymore details you might have

15. Im currently in Afghanistan, as a civvy, depends which base and were in country they are thinking of deploying, heard a few rumours about a were Brits would be going. Kabul airport isnt a bad place to get, but been to other bases and would only worked there if I had to. If you need any more info PM me with anymore details you might have