Afghanistan & WW3

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by two_of_seven, Oct 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is the criteria for a conflict to become a world war?

I ask as The Afghan (& Iraq)conflict has been going on for longer than WW2 and has had a fair number of counties with troops in combat?

Are rationing or conscription prerequisits for a new WW?

I am genuinely curious on this subject.

2. Is there wahness in the air?

3. Maybe by "WW" the OP means "World Wah?"

4. Well I am no rocket scientist but you have answered your own question haven't you? WW means World War as in the World (in general a few countries may avoid it). Afghanistan and Iraq (as was) didnt involve the World per se only some countries. May be wrong usually am.

5. A world war would be "General War" i.e. one that is fought across the boundaries of the belligerents, probably not taking notice of them.

Afghanistan is a "limited war" i.e. one that is confined to a narrow region, despite the involvement of an international coalition, from a large number of countries.

Length of conflict is pretty irrelevant; look at how long the troubles in NI dragged on.

Standing by to be Wah'd...

6. Well, lets look at the check list shall we,

1. Arguing with the wife about being too old to re-enlist and joining the newly formed Home Guard in the village instead.

2. Children hanging around the railway station waiting to be collected. Check

3. Gracie Fields and George Formby movies on at the Odeon.

4. Vera Lynn singing on the radio. Check

5. Americans and all manner of foreigners everywhere you go in London Check

6. Expensive, and occasional shortage of, petrol Check

7. Merchant ships going missing at sea Check

8. RAF losing aircraft and Navy losing ships Check

9. Busty, hearty young girls coming to the countryside to work on the land.

10. Danger of illegal aliens entering the country Check

Wait a minute, that's 7/10..... you might be on to something here. Best we monitor the situation with diligence!

7. Will fat birds growing rhubarb count?? If so....CHECK!!!

8. Might help if it was declared a war :twisted:

At the moment it is a Policing action, COIN Operation, Reconstruction Effort, Beerfest, etc, no one seems to have gone down the War path yet except maybe those who believe they are being Occupied, but it takes 2 for a war so for the time being it is just a mess. :cry:

9. Policing action?! How fecking ridiculous. It is like saying Vietnam and Korea were police actions. They and Afghanistan are not police actions. The act of invading was a declaration of war (and Bush's declaration of the so called "Global war on terror").

10. ehhhhhh..... and just out of interest, how do you do that..... declare war?

"This morning the British Ambassador in Kabul left a final note on the doorstep stating that, unless we hear from them by 11 o'clock that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops from wherever they are, a state of war would exist between us. I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that consequently this country is at war with them................ you know, the blokes who wander around in nightshirts...... the olive skinned ones..... well some of them anyway.... whoever they are......... wherever they're hiding. Well, we're at war anyway so thats it.

At such a moment as this the assurances of support which we have received from the empire are a source of profound encouragement to us.

When I have finished speaking, certain detailed announcements will be made on behalf of the government. Give these your closest attention. The government have made plans under which it will be possible to carry on work of the nation in the days of stress and strain that may be ahead...

Now may God bless you all. May He defend the right. For it is evil things that we shall be fighting against - brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression and persecution - and against them I am certain that right will prevail. "

Should work a treat. Tried and tested.

11. Thats what the Germans did to the yanks init.

12. Children please stop the squabbling:

A declaration of war is a formal declaration issued by a national government indicating that a state of war exists between that nation and another. For the United States, Article One, Section Eight of the Constitution says "Congress shall have power to ... declare War;".

The United States of America has formally declared war against foreign nations five separate times.

War of 1812
    Mexican American War 1846
    Spanish American War 1898
    WW1
    WW2

In twelve instances, the United States has engaged in extended military engagements that were explicitly authorized by Congress, short of a formal declaration of war. The last case being:

2001 war in Afghanistan, also known as Operation Enduring Freedom

So no, no war then.

The second operation is the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), which was established by the UN Security Council at the end of December 2001. Fairly sure the UN Resolution did not mention a declaration of war! :evil:

13. The boy Millieblonde steps off a plane to say "I have here a piece of paper signed by Mr T. Taliban and we have peace in our time"

Then 2 weeks later elapses and then Cyclops broadcasts to the nation

'Mandy has told me to tell you that I am speaking to you from under the table in the Cabinet Room of 10 Downing Street.
    This morning the British Ambassador in Kabul handed the Taliban a final note, stating that unless we heard from them - by 11 o'clock - he is not happy and the toys are out the pram. If they were not prepared at once to withdraw their bad guys from AFG, a state of war would exist between us.
    I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received and that, consequently, this country is at war with the Taliban and Mandy is now buggering off to Brazil.'

14. WW3? Nah. Not until Friday... :twisted:

15. I get the impression you're are not taking the OP's question too seriously!