Afghanistan - What did we actually gain?

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Or less dramatically .Just leave them alone. ;)

Old joke/

A British Platoon supported by some Aussie Engineers were fortifying a patrol base when all of a sudden the Taliban open up on them. During the firefight a Brit and an Aussie identify one of the Taliban positions and pour fire down on it. In desperation the Talib fires an RPG round at them, but it falls short, grazing an old lamp and ricochets off an in a safe direction and bursts at it's safety distance. From the lamp bursts a genie who yells 'Stop! I am the Genie of the lamp and I grant three wishes to whomever has summoned me out of my confinement.' After an unusual but quick jirga it is agreed (Also unusual.) that the Brit, the Talib and the Aussie should get one wish each in that order.

“Get me out of this shit-hole.” says the Brit. “I want to be home with my family.” KAAZOOM. The Brit disappears from Afghanistan and finds himself back in his pads quarter with his wife and family.

The Talib goes next. “Remove all the infidels from Afghanistan and make it impossible for them to ever enter the country again.” He says with fanatical religious dedication. KAAZOOM, all the infidels find themselves standing outside of Afghanistan, just over the border of its neighbouring countries, looking amazed. There is a wall going round the complete Afghan border.

“And now you my friend,” the Genie says to the Aussie, “what is your wish?”

“Well, I'm and Engineer,” says the Aussie, “ before I make my wish, tell me a little about the technical details of this wall.”

“It is the most perfect wall ever built. It goes all all the way round Afghanistan, it cannot be breached, bored or demolished in any way. Nothing can get in, and nothing can get out.”

“Is that a fact?”

The Genie nods in satisfaction.

With a twinkle in his eye the Aussie Engineer says “Fill it with Beer.”

Old joke/

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Prehaps we can extricate ourselves better than 1842 this time?
That wouldn't have looked so bad if only he'd sat-up in his saddle. Could have straightened himself up, trotted in to the fort and given a Jolly:

"All's not lost lads... there's me for starters, and my equine pal of course.
But that's about it now I think about it. We didn't run away, honest."

A bit Drama Queen I'd bet, always finding an excuse [thousands of pissed off Afghan warriors in pursuit in this case] to make an entrance. Always the Doctors.

kabul retrert.jpg

giatttt

War Hero
Perhaps, but in between our failed campaigns we went back and gave them a good kicking.
The Israelis have spent a considerable amount of time and money proving that no matter how hard and frequently you kick people they don't fall in love with you. I suppose we thought we could do better what with our regimental traditions and all.

I bet the uk borders will overrun with refugees all from
Afghanistan with no papers
Yup, and that includes the former ‘terps that think they’re owed something by the British Government. They took the money and knew the risks, fück them and all.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
I read a quote from def sec Ben Wallace this morning saying something like:

"The US decision to withdraw is disappointing but we will respect it"

I've been for a dog walk since and it now appears to have been scrubbed from the internet. Can any google sleuths out there assist / certify me please?

I read a quote from def sec Ben Wallace this morning saying something like:

"The US decision to withdraw is disappointing
but we will respect it"

I've been for a dog walk since and it now appears to have been scrubbed from the internet. Can any google sleuths out there assist / certify me please?
Was on Radio 4 news about 4 minutes ago

The difference between the ANA and the British Army is only one of degree, and not kind, both being expendable, entirely dependent auxiliary forces for American imperial projects.

Last edited:
I gave up on stan when they showed the picture of a man falling from the world trade centre to two old afghan men and they thought it had been taken in Kabul.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Which aspects of the article do you disagree with?
2 for starters:

"100 of the 454 British deaths in Afghanistan took place in Sangin alone, for no ultimate purpose other than making British politicians feel relevant in Washington DC. America wanted us to enter a poorly-thought out war with no clearly defined parameters for success, so we did"

"The difference between the ANA and the British Army is only one of degree, and not kind, both being expendable, entirely dependent auxiliary forces for American imperial projects".

Deary me..,.

2 for starters:

"100 of the 454 British deaths in Afghanistan took place in Sangin alone, for no ultimate purpose other than making British politicians feel relevant in Washington DC. America wanted us to enter a poorly-thought out war with no clearly defined parameters for success, so we did"

How many bods did we lose in Sangin then?
What ultimate purpose do you think those deaths had?

Would our Tony have gone into Afghanistan if he wasn't hanging onto the coat tails of Bush?

"The difference between the ANA and the British Army is only one of degree, and not kind, both being expendable, entirely dependent auxiliary forces for American imperial projects"

Do you think the Americans see it any different?
They were so grateful for how we legitimised their foreign ventures they still warned us we'd be at the 'back of the line' if we voted for Brexit.

Proper gratitude, that. Not expendable at all.

How many bods did we lose in Sangin then?
What ultimate purpose do you think those deaths had?

Would our Tony have gone into Afghanistan if he wasn't hanging onto the coat tails of Bush?

"The difference between the ANA and the British Army is only one of degree, and not kind, both being expendable, entirely dependent auxiliary forces for American imperial projects"

Do you think the Americans see it any different?
They were so grateful for how we legitimised their foreign ventures they still warned us we'd be at the 'back of the line' if we voted for Brexit.

Proper gratitude, that. Not expendable at all.

Aye, we should have just stayed at home wringing our hands and not thinking about these figures eh.....

Yip, war is shit, but then so is that article (and yes, I took part and lost some very good friends along the way).

Aye, we should have just stayed at home wringing our hands and not thinking about these figures eh.....

Yip, war is shit, but then so is that article (and yes, I took part and lost some very good friends along the way).

Staying home and wringing our hands wouldn't have cost us so much blood and treasure.
The end result was always going to be the same.

I'm truly thankful my kids came home in one piece, unlike many of their oppos.

kandak01

Clanker
They couldn't even define the aims and objectives, for fcuks sake.

That's not entirely true.
I'm pretty sure I heard at least a dozen different definitions of our aims & objectives, sometimes simultaneously, and sometimes self-contradictory....

Latest Threads