Afghanistan - What did we actually gain?

Of course it was stonker. A rehash of the 'your point is so poor I have been doubled over laughing and won't respond to it' line we have seen so often on this thread.
Yeah, like we're the same person....

No. Can you paste the bit where I say it does?
Of course not, I didn't say you had -it's a question!

Try answering it, you're clearly a jolly clever, very senior staff officer

I'm not saying we don't have troops there. Op HERRICK is over, Op TORAL is just a little different.

As you all well know.
It is a little different, spicey at times as we all know.

Fack'n brilliant :)

I got an 'Old' for that post from @ChrisR (latest member of my ignore list - a never served civvy Troll/Walt by his profile and posting history :) , but don't let me stop you wasting pixels on him )

I have news for you Chris!

OF COURSE IT'S OLD - It's History :)
Yes. I have never been in the military. None of my posts have indicated any kind of military experience.

Well done.

Anyone who has even briefly read up on the place would beg to differ that 'success' is remotely realistic.
That depends what success looks like. Which itself depends on who is looking and who is asking.

It's always fascinated me that many people have thought success is not intrinsically impossible in Afghanistan. Notable academics, politicians, military leader, NGOs, diplomats, charities etc have thought it could be achieved and still could be at varying degrees of cost.

If only they had asked some randoms off the Internet they would have been put in their place.

That depends what success looks like. Which itself depends on who is looking and who is asking.

It's always fascinated me that many people have thought success is not intrinsically impossible in Afghanistan. Notable academics, politicians, military leader, NGOs, diplomats, charities etc have thought it could be achieved and still could be at varying degrees of cost.

If only they had asked some randoms off the Internet they would have been put in their place.
Pity those notable academics, politicians, NGOs, diplomats and charities etc weren't more forthcoming before we blundered in.

Again.

Thank you. I did answer it if you remember?
I do - thank you. You've confirmed that you're a civilian with no military service who says he's held at least the 'equivalent rank' of Lt Col in the MOD and a NATO HQ.

I don't hold with the 'equivalent rank' malarkey but there we are, you must be a capable and experienced bloke.Could you explain why your views are worth more than that of an SO2? Or does the equivalent rank get in the way?

It is a little different, spicey at times as we all know.
Yes - but a different operation with different objectives I'll warrant.

Yes - but a different operation with different objectives I'll warrant.
Exactly, which is why it's not in the news, so perhaps "soft power" is working after all.

Exactly, which is why it's not in the news, so perhaps "soft power" is working after all.
I don't think Embassy protection is proper 'soft power'.......

I do - thank you. You've confirmed that you're a civilian with no military service who says he's held at least the 'equivalent rank' of Lt Col in the MOD and a NATO HQ.

I don't hold with the 'equivalent rank' malarkey but there we are, you must be a capable and experienced bloke.Could you explain why your views are worth more than that of an SO2? Or does the equivalent rank get in the way?
I didn't claim equivalent rank. I said I had worked at SO1 level. I didn't claim to have worked in a NATO HQ.

I'm sorry that I have upset you so much that you have had to descend into ad hominems.

Lucky that's not what is happening.
Tell me more. I'd love to know what an 'not equivalent rank', never served, civilian 'SO1' who's never been near Afghanistan could tell us all about Op TORAL.