Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thanks Ma'am, although I was hardly 'at the heart of things' - happy to pass on to someone better qualified.
Why don't you review it, as it was your idea, then send it to someone who was 'at the heart' for a second opinion?

Should be with you in 2-3 days. Please let me know when it arrives

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Okleydokely neighbourino ;-D

Having former service personnel in a homeless situation is a national disgrace but it is only part of the problem and the reason people are homeless is mostly because of government housing policy.

Housing provision has been deliberately thrust into the private sector since the 1980’s. If you turn up at any Council housing department, unless you meet quite rare criteria, you’ll be given a list of local private sector landlords and shown the door.

The government deliberately doesn’t do pubic sector housing. There are a number of reasons for that. They’ve save many billions over the years by not having to invest in the nations housing infrastructure. They’ve also secured significant income for the private housing sector by forcing people into that market.

When I say they’ve saved money, what they really done is redirected many billions of public money into the pockets of private landlords because much of what would have been spent on building homes is now being paid out as housing benefit because large numbers of people who have been forced into the private housing sector can’t afford the large rents being demanded unless they can’t get housing benefit.

If we just used the money to build housing in the first place, rents could be cheaper and more affordable and wouldn’t need to be subsidised and we could also actually house homeless people as well according to their needs. That would include homeless former service personnel as well.

Housing provision in the UK is a jungle and as I said, a national disgrace!

I am surrounded by people on housing benefit, much of it not cheap..
It must be getting to fearful levels in terms of Treasury spending.