Afghanistan : Ten Facts You May Not Know.....

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Goatman, Jul 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

BBC's Lyse Doucette on the aspects of AFG that (usually) go unreported.....

SOURCE

The programme is still (currently ) on BBC i Player HERE

BBC iPlayer - Afghanistan: The Unknown Country

2. Done already.......do keep up

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Well I would do if I was only bright enough....care to share the link or shall I just focus my energy on the crystal ball ?

Was the programme any good ?

4. "Afghan cuisine is more sophisticated than kebabs and rice."

No it isn't. Do they really need to pay Lyse £80,000 a year to trouble us this sort of mongness?

I can picture the scene at White City. An idiot producer, keen to make a mark, tells the boss that far too many people think that Afghanistan is only home for suicide bombers and men who set fire to women. "She", for it will be a she, who has never been there, but enjoyed Rajastan, will then have conspired with Lyse, who is only available on Thursday afternoons for an hour, to provide the licence-payer with the latest in a long line of cock.

Afghan food is shite. There, you got that for free.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Yes; Karzai's half-brother featured in it, and was murdered a couple of days after the programme was broadcast.

6. No it isn't, the stuff she got to eat looked well tasty. It had been prepared by her friend, the only Japanese sushi chef in....

Oh, hang on.

7. Thats abit funny you say that....tell me a single British dish that 1)isnt bland 2)doesnt taste like shit.

from Hagus to black pudding....all tastes like shit, made from shit...and served to shitty *****.

Italians,Portugese, Mexicans make some of the best dishes out there.

Relating to the topic....Afghanistan is full of *****..and needs a stalin like figure to civilise it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. If you want to eat good Afghan food...go visit Shinwaris...bab e khyber(manchester)...Al Faisal(Manchester)....many other places that make good food.

9. I'll give it a miss thanks.

10. Chicken tikka masala.

There, see, quod erat demonstrandum.

Fixed that for you.

11. It's shite. Kabuli rice? A bowl of rice with a few currants bunged in it. You're confusing the "cuisine" served up to their conquerors and masters with the crap that your usual Afghan has to suffer.

How many Mexican chefs are in Helmand? I met one and he was kicked nigh on to death by a bunch of Angry pmcs who didn't like their burritos.

If you think Stalin will restore a modicum of quality to Afghan food, then dig him up and chuck him on a brai.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ten things I recall from pre-war Afghanistan (in the years immediately prior to the Soviet invasion).

1. The food was bloody awful, rice and greasy mutton being the staple diet.
    2. You couldn't walk two paces down the Chicken Street in Kabul without being hussled.
    3. A local treat in Kabul was a visit to the lunatic asylum in order to bully and abuse the inhabitants.
    4. Horses, donkeys and camels were universally treated appallingly.
    5. Kids in Jalalabad did not play football, cricket or anything similar. Instead they spent their leisure time killing birds and small animals.
    6. Locals crapping in the street was the norm.
    7. Road journeys were constantly interrupted by road blocks, with soldiers demanding 50 Afs before the journey could be continued.
    8. Hepatitis was prevalent.
    9. Cockroaches infested restaurants and hotels.
    10. In country areas, eye contact with local women had to be avoided at all costs for fear of being killed, or worse, by the woman's husband or male relatives.

In short, the country was a total sh*t-hole. In my humble opinion, it was never worth the life of one British soldier.

• Like Like x 7
  13. If you were quick you could creep up behind them and with one lungful, blow up their burkha until it was spherical. Much hilarity, until the pashtuns cracked down on it.

14. Hmmm, that would a Lysol Douchbag, squandering our licence fund on yet more pc BBC crap to show how wonderfully inclusive of all cultures they are at the beeb!
    They'll be doing programs about the million & one discoveries/inventions of the Muslim world next, and Black history programs showing the ills of the world are all us nasty whitefolks fault! Sorry, what's that, they already have, oh bugger! :-(

• Like Like x 1