Afghanistan Research: permission from Bad CO

Permission granted from Bad CO to promote research.

If you have been to Afghanistan, you can make a difference to how psychologists understand military responses to combat by completing the anonymous survey below:
http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/1547032/Responding-to-Conflict-in-Afghanistan

By completing this survey, you will be contributing to a better understanding of how military personnel interpret and respond to combat. This has implications for the individual as well as wider society through developing early intervention strategies and reducing secondary factors such as alcohol abuse and relationship breakdowns.

This innovative research is ethically approved by City University as part of a Doctoral Thesis. It is taking part under the British Psychological Society ethical guidelines. You have a right to withdraw at any time.

If you have any further questions please email Psychology Research at afghan.research1@gmail.com

Thank you!

Completed. I might be a bit mental - but not barking enough to post in the depression thread.

spaz

LE
I started filling it out, got as far as the question about being unable to concentrate whilst carrying out bone tasks, got distracted and haven't filled the rest out.

Sorry.

Permission granted from Bad CO to promote research.

If you have been to Afghanistan, you can make a difference to how psychologists understand military responses to combat by completing the anonymous survey below:
http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/1547032/Responding-to-Conflict-in-Afghanistan

By completing this survey, you will be contributing to a better understanding of how military personnel interpret and respond to combat. This has implications for the individual as well as wider society through developing early intervention strategies and reducing secondary factors such as alcohol abuse and relationship breakdowns.

This innovative research is ethically approved by City University as part of a Doctoral Thesis. It is taking part under the British Psychological Society ethical guidelines. You have a right to withdraw at any time.

If you have any further questions please email Psychology Research at afghan.research1@gmail.com

Thank you!
Where're the research protocol, the consent form, your and your supervisor's names, the request form for information about results, the evidence that you are currently registered for a PhD at City and your funding sources?

And since when have City PhD students sheltered behind gmail accounts?

Z

Zarathustra

Thank you!
City University ran out of money for an email server?

Where're the research protocol, the consent form, your and your supervisor's names, the request form for information about results, the evidence that you are currently registered for a PhD at City and your funding sources?

And since when have City PhD students sheltered behind gmail accounts?
If you click on the link it's all there except his name, and his supervisors email, everything required by the BPS for conducting psychology research is there as far as I'm aware - information about the study, participant consent form, details of the supervisor (except his email), right to withdraw, ethical approval status, and how to view the results.

Also says he's doing the counselling doctorate, so likely that he's self funded.

City University ran out of money for an email server?
Makes it easier to keep track of email responses, rather than have them all go to your university/work email. It's a common thing to do. And if they're recruiting 000s of participants, you don't really want that many emails etc going through to your everyday email as its easier to miss them etc.

Last edited:
Z

Zarathustra

If you click on the link it's all there except his name and his supervisors email, everything required by the BPS for conducting psychology research is there as far as I'm aware - information about the study, participant consent form, details of the supervisor (except his email), right to withdraw, ethical approval status, and how to view the results.

Makes it easier to keep track of email responses, rather than have them all go to your university/work email. It's a common thing to do. And they're recruiting 000s of participants, you don't really want that many emails etc going through to your everyday email as its easier to miss them etc.
Fair enough, it's just the other studies I've been involved with, the most recent being Kings College they used uni addresses

@amazing_lobster, thanks for the clarification.

I'm still concerned about the gmail thing mainly because I think it's to do with confidence that someone asking for personal details is who they say they are.

Even if a PhD student is rarely on campus, isn't s/he able to access mail, files &c remotely? And wouldn't the psychology department have a setup that allows research subjects/respondents to answer questionnaires, as Zarathustra suggests, located on the City server?

I'm sorry you are concerned re the gmail account. I have a City University account but do not want lots of emails going directly to that account as I rarely check it. Additionally, the Ethics Committee asked me to have a separate email account to my personal account and I prefer to have specific email accounts for specific projects. I was advised by BAD CO to remain anonymous due to past issues with people identifying themselves.

In terms of consent - if you deselect the 'accept' terms box then you cannot complete the survey. As it is online and anonymous I have no way of tracing participants unless they leave their details. It is voluntary and you can leave at any time. I am not trying to mislead anyone as to the nature of the study and I provide a contact e-mail for further questions/ results.

Supervisors name is there.

I am self-funded as I am doing a Counselling Psychology Doctorate. I want to remain impartial and do not have any loyalties to any organisation. This is an interest of mine to to previous experiences.

Passed the page link on to a couple of acquaintances who have done Afghan tours.

Latest Threads