Afghanistan: Op OMID SEY clears roads in Gereshk

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by UKForcesAfghanistan, Aug 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Keep mowing the grass lads.....
  2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Nice to see an authoritative voice on here - welcome, again, to those in Bastion.

One question - I can't find anywhere what "Omid Sey" means in English. Translation, please?
  3. Thank you for the feedback and comments:
    Omid Sey translates to be 'Hope Three', it is the third in a series of ops
  4. The IED's will be back in less than a week unless every checkpoint covers the whole of each route cleared which I doubt. We were daily clearing IED's on routes overwatched (how did they get there if they are overwatched?) only to find the following week they were back again.
  5. UKForcesAfghanistan,

I appreciate your attempt to bring a 'good news' story, but is this the best 'we' can offer in the way of good news after 4 years of effort?

I'll do my best to demonstrate my concern.

From your blog, "The Afghan National Army (ANA) and Afghan National Police (ANP), working together on a major operation for the first time ever..."

Doesn't the underlined part of this not give you cause for concern? It's taken 4 years of effort to get to the "very first" joint operation between the Afghan security forces.

Moreover, in a "...densely populated area...", an important road to the locals is unuseable for months at a time. A road that is "leading to an existing police checkpoint". Just what does this say of 'success'?

It was not the tooth fairy that planted the IEDs, it was human hands. How did those human hands managed to sneak in, plant their devices in such a way as they are not readily visible, and leave - all undetected by either the police at or near the checkpoint or the large local population? Sometimes they even manage to hang around so as to detonate their handiwork remotely!

If, after 4 years, 'we' are still little further down the road of convincing the locals that it is in their own interests to provide early warning of the IED laying efforts - so the Afghan or ISAF forces can catch them in the act or swing the planting-finding ratio back in 'our' favour.

'Success' is clearly a long way off if the bulk of the locals are still working for the opposition rather than 'us' - when working for 'us' would seem to be in their best interests.

Your story reinforces my belief that the 'enemy' is not some foreign jihaadist shipped in, or even a die-hard Taliban supporter harping for the old days. It seems 'we' have got ourselves caught up in an a multi-faceted civil war on the side of a semi-legitimate central government. The 'enemy' is in fact the local population that 'we' claim to be protecting!

Rather than being a 'good news' story, I found it rather troublesome.

But what do I know? I'm just an ignorant civi these days!
  6. UKForcesAfghanistan....this is all very good in the PR front, and people "back home" can see all the "good" but back where you are, is Paradigm allowing users to access Arrse now. Or as i was told out there by Paradigm, "its not us, must be the dodgy site your trying to access"!!
  7. See also:

Operations Panther's Claw, Lastay Kulang, Clay, Ghartse Gar, Silicon, Chakush, Leg Tufaan, Palk Wahel, Silver, Volcano

for more examples of pushing water uphill.
  8. Agree with all the points above. We're in an unwinnable war which in the end will see us pulling out stating ANSF are ready to take over. How will ANSF ever be ready when ISAF can't even defeat the taliban?
  9. On Herrick 8 ARRSE was accessible, on Herrick 12 it wasn't. Paradigm said (in an Email) that it was a bandwidth problem. However since the recent changes in the ARRSE format it can now once again be accessed.
  10. It's always been accessible from US terminals.