Afghanistan - Oooo, haven't they done well?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Queensman, Apr 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That is aweful

2. Well, make the most of it Achmed, when the infidels have gone in a couple of years and the Talibs get back in power, it's a public execution like the 'good old days' for growing Opium.

• Like Like x 1

3. But great news for cotton farmers.

4. Three times as much opium was produced in Helmand last year as when British troops went there in 2006, and a new UN forecast says that this year's crop will be even higher. Opium is the raw material for heroin, and most of the illegal drugs for sale on the UK's streets come from Afghanistan.

So, what did you do in the war daddy? Oh, I helped further the Afghan Opium Poppy Industry.....

Most of the worldwide production of illegal heroin, the drug refined from opium, comes from Afghanistan, and the then Prime Minister Tony Blair cited this as a reason for the war in 2001, calling the drugs trade a part of the Taliban regime that "we should seek to destroy".

The UK took a lead role in counter-narcotics from the beginning, and sent troops to Helmand in 2006 partly because this was the largest area of poppy cultivation.

Well done everybody and Nice One Tone!

• Like Like x 4
  5. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

nope, first to stabalise the country then repair and re -new infrastructure. the head bods knew that if we stopped the opium from growing all those farmers would go talib.

Didn't ever see any sign of alternative crops being suggested in any meaningful way , cant grow spuds at twice the effort and a quarter of the revenue if the locals eat rice and not spuds. Bit like the Kenyan ground nut scheme of the 1950's and 60's

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I do hope Baron Reid of Cardowan remembers these words from his time as Secretary of State for Defence;

That troops would leave Afghanistan

7. well our delicious heroin isnt going to make itself.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Or not:

"We would be perfectly happy to leave in three years time without firing one shot."

9. But what he said was actually

10. Suburb selective quoting there big lad you should get a job with a newspaper or maybe in PR.

"We hope we will leave Afghanistan with out a shot being fired"

Changes the whole context doesn't it. Still don't let that get in the way.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

11. Fairy nuff. Mea culpa. I shall have to correct my sources.