Afghanistan - Medal qualifying periods

Regarding the current mission in Afghanistan, do British soldiers recieve the OSM or do they get the ISAF Medal(NATO) and what is the qualifying period for the appropriate medal?

Further to this, what are the exact qualifying criteria for the clasp?

I spent 4 months in Kandahar on what I thought was Herrick, but when my medal finally came through (after everyone else, cause thbe clerks forgot to put in for my gong) I was awarded the OSM for service on OP VERITAS. the rest of my squadron was given the clasp as well, but alas, no clasp for me.

My chief clerk seems to think no one was entitled to the clasp and I should just wait out, but I just want to know if I am entitled to the clasp or not.

cheers

Criteria for the clasp is that you have to be in Afghanistan, which you obviously were. The clasp 'Afghanistan' is awarded regardless of which op you were on.

thanks for the info. it's as I figured, and as it is stated on the medal office website. is it worthwhile contacting them direct? or should I wait for my notoriously slow chain of command to sort it.

thanks again

As well as the OSM Afghanistan, after 30 days you qualify for the NATO ISAF medal as well. It is a NATO non-article 5 medal and cant be worn on 2's etc, however the letter from J1 in Kabul with all the relevant details said it could be worn as a minature on mess dress.

As well as the OSM Afghanistan, after 30 days you qualify for the NATO ISAF medal as well. It is a NATO non-article 5 medal and cant be worn on 2's etc, however the letter from J1 in Kabul with all the relevant details said it could be worn as a minature on mess dress.

Mmm, didn't know you could wear non article 5 on mess dress. What's the critea for being awarded it (I was there in 2002) and what happens if you already have another NATO minature such as Kosovo or Bosnia?

boney_m said:
Rubbish.

You can only wear the Afghanistan OSM on your uniform (No 1, No 2, or Mess Dress).

You cannot wear the NATO Non-Article 5 Medal.

However, you do add qualification time to your ACSM.

boney_m said:
Crock'o'shite

Two very different medals for two very different things!

Lets see a copy of this letter you talk about shall we.

I returned from Afghanistan last month and I was awarded both the OSM and NATO Non-Art 5. I asked the SSA in Kabul if I could wear both and he said you could. At first I wasn't convinced, but it is true after having spoken to a couple more SSAs in the UK.

hurryupandwait said:
I returned from Afghanistan last month and I was awarded both the OSM and NATO Non-Art 5. I asked the SSA in Kabul if I could wear both and he said you could. At first I wasn't convinced, but it is true after having spoken to a couple more SSAs in the UK.
From www.nato.int

The Non Article 5 Medal
The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation has approved a Non Article 5 NATO medal for personnel participating in NATO-led operations in the Balkans. NATO inaugurated a new award symbolising the amalgamation of all Balkan operations into one operational whole.
In the past each NATO-led operation had its own medal based on specified criteria and qualifying conditions. From 1 January 2003, common criteria will be applicable to each of the NATO-led operations within the Balkans Joint Operations Area (JOA).

This medal is authorised to replace the NATO medals issued for NATO Operations “JOINT FORGE” and “JOINT GUARDIAN”.

Eligibility for the new medal remains the same as those previous NATO medals with the exception of the dates of service. Those members entering the Balkan theatre on or after December 3, 2002 will be eligible for the new medal.

The Balkans JOA is delineated as the political boundaries and airspace of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, FRY (including Kosovo), FYROM, and Albania, based on the detailed description contained in the SFOR, KFOR, Allied Harmony OPLANs.

WTF are you getting a Balkans medal for Afghanistan?
Does it say Non Article 5 on the clasp?
Does it look like either of the ones i put as little pictures in an earlier post?
Wear it by all means but know what you are wearing it for!

catchyerselfon said:
boney_m said:
Crock'o'shite

Two very different medals for two very different things!

I was simply passing on detail that were briefed. The medal is the ISAF medal, the letter explained that it is non article 5 and could only be worn on mess dress. Not a crock of sh1te, passing on information given to me. I understand that the medals are different, and no we shall not be seeing a copy of the letter on the internet you pedantic little tw@.

catchyerselfon said:
boney_m said:
I was simply passing on detail that were briefed. The medal is the ISAF medal, the letter explained that it is non article 5 and could only be worn on mess dress. Not a crock of sh1te, passing on information given to me. I understand that the medals are different, and no we shall not be seeing a copy of the letter on the internet you pedantic little tw@.
Ahh i love it when people are so nice to me..... Its like reading an old school report.
(Nice looking young 'un behind the baby gate too. Bet it looks just like its Mum)

You should have been given it in theatre S_M. Your unit should be able to do something about it though.

The letter mentioned above DID exist and I probably have a copy somewhere but it was bollocks. The SO1 J1 in Kabul wrote it off his own back (IIRC) back on Herrick 3/4 but it's clearly incorrect and later DINs confirmed this to be the case.

If you're sent back from any theatre due to wounds etc from enemy action then you'll still get your gong.
Bad news on being wounded B_C - keep your head down next time! Hope your recovery goes ok.

APPROVAL FOR THE ACCEPTANCE AND WEAR OF THE NATO MEDAL FOR THE NON-ARTICLE 5 ISAF OPERATION IN AFGHANISTAN
8 July 2005

Her Majesty The Queen has recently given Her approval for the unrestricted acceptance and wear of the following foreign medal:

The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) Medal for the Non-Article 5 ISAF Operation in Afghanistan for 30 days or more service with the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) since 11 August 2003.

Those personnel who are eligible, and who have been awarded the NATO Medal for the Non-Article 5 ISAF Operation in Afghanistan, may now wear the medal.

The NZDF has provided personnel to serve with ISAF since 2002. The leadership of ISAF initially rotated, on an approximately six-monthly basis, between Britain, Turkey, Germany and the Netherlands. On 11 August 2003, NATO took over the strategic command and operational control of ISAF.

Only those NZDF personnel who served with ISAF while it was under NATO leadership are eligible for the NATO Medal (ISAF).

The medal is to be worn as a campaign medal in order of the date of the individual’s service for which it was awarded.

There has been a DIN Published. Log onto DII and look it up in the Library.