Afghanistan/Iraq allowances

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by cpunk, Sep 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

A quick question to answer a BAFF media enquiry: what additional allowances above basic pay would an infantry soldier on his first tour of Iraq or Afghanistan currently qualify for?

2. LSSA - lower rate.(Approx £5 - taxable if i remember correctly)
    No food and Accomodation charges. (value about £100 / month)

Question why do soldiers who serve more than 6 months abroad
    (Telic tours are now on average 7 months for the infantry) not get the standard tax free allowances that anyone else abroad would get ?
  3. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Cheers for that. Big campaign on the subject is coming up!
  4. Do you not have to have served a minimum amount of time to get LSSA?

Tax issue: as far as the Inland Revenue are concerned no matter where you are deployed you are resident in the UK. This works in your favour sometimes when posted to countries with a higher tax rate than the UK (and this is the excuse they use). In reality it is a money making scam and they cannot be bothered to refund your taxes.

They can however do it for the Merchant Marine and all of their diplomats and contractors.
  5. I thought you had to be in 18 months to receive LSSA??
  6. LSSA is given after 12 months of service - so essentially after basic trg.
    It is awarded after 10 days away.
    Howver all going to change under JPA - more bands more time in each band and essentially less money :twisted:
  7. Someone correct if wrong but: Note that a reservist would only recieve LSSA if they had qualified for the last two years bounty. So people missing out would either be a reservist mobilised within their first 24months (it happens), or someone with 10 years experience and a few tours but, for some reason (say illness, work, whatever) didn't qualify on one occaision recently.
  8. I think you will find that a months food & accom charge is a lot more than £100 per month (food alone is £109 for a 30 day month)!
  9. :evil:

Reference the JPA and LSSA - it will be renamed to LSA (Whoopie!) but they will do away with more 280/365 days. Under JPA there will be approx 14 levels starting at 5.84 -> 24.68.
  10. Also, you will transition over to the new system at the appropriate level to your accumulated LSSA days total (the one on your payslip). Thankfully they won't make us start back at the beginning.
  11. Off subject

I have got a mate looking at going RM. He did four years then left and has been out for one. Will he regain his LSSA entitlments????