Afghanistan during the 1950's-1960's.

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Afghan_Kandak, Aug 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Please use google to open this, and translate it with google translator online. It should do all that automattically anyway.

http://ttolk.ru/?p=6083

2. Do we need to use Google?

3. Let's be honest, the Ruskies****ed it up.

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

nice shot of the afghan army wearing german helmets halfway down.

5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I was in Kabul in the 70s, still have friends there, where do think I got the photos of the attack on the British Council office from

6. I'd say it was the Afghans myself. They had their chance for peace once the Soviets pulled out but decided to fight each other instead.

7. That's true, but the effects of having the Russians in your country for 10 years was a pretty big reason as to why they acted like bastards afterwards. Not to mention all the funding for the projects Afghanistan was receiving before the Soviets invaded stopping and leaving the country with virtually no infrastructure.

8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the procom govt held out for a while after the sovs left if my memory is correct, and did better than everyone expected.

from what I gather the whole thing was as usual down to power hungry petty beaurocrats and generals. the kind of thing we could do with here.

9. It was an ally piece of gear in its day. The Chinese Army pre WW II used the Stalhelm as did the Chileans.

I don't know what to make of this picture of a capitalistic Cadillac whizzing along the minister of the Fourth Reich on some important mission however. As this photo was made years ago during the happy days of the 1960s I can't imagine what would have brought the German minister to such a backward country. It's not like the Afghans had any raw materials worth having (at least not that we knew of in the 1960s) that the West wanted. And anyway, Hemann had barely recovered from the shoeing he had received in the late unpleasantness of 1939-45 and he would not be likely to stick his head above the parapet for some time afterwards. The cheek of the Russians to call the FRG "the Fourth Reich"; I'm willing to bet that even to themselves the ministers in Bonn didn't call their country the Fourth Reich! Caddy of the Fourth Reich.jpg

10. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

SNIP
    Let's be honest, the Ruskies****ed it up.
    SNIP

Well yeeerrrsss...but who armed the opposition to the Russians, who funded the opposition, and who implanted the main info, training and kit pipeline as the Pakistan Intelligence Service?

If we are to blame the Russians for the state of the country 30 years after they legged it, let us also blame:
    The Saudis;
    The Pakistanis; and
    (Drum roll, please)
    The Western alliance

Anyone for a blowback?

11. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

I'd add that after the last Russian tank pulled back into Dagestan, did we, the West, say, "Yahoo, the commies are out. Now we will repay the Muj for their courage by giving them every financial and consulting assistance we can and help them build a modern, multi-party (multi-tribal?) democracy?"

If we had, then Afghanistan today might be South Korea.

No, we took our eyes off the ball as in, "Ah well, job done. No need to worry about Afghanistan anymore, they are of no strategic interest to us."

Meanwhile, Muj from as far afield as Chechnya and the Southern Philippines had drawn from their experience not what "we" might have wanted them to - ie "Let's all be liberal democrats with educated wimmen and free markets that will deliver us coloured TVs, canned beer and flush toilets" - but instead maintained their networks. Those networks, being funded by Saudi religious money and preached to by hardcore Mullahs, began to see The West as being equally as Godless as The Commies, and - hey presto - morphed into AQ.

Jolly good, carry on.

12. I think that's incredibly unlikely. I have worked in quite a few backward countries, but Afghanistan was the least developed of all. It would not get close to S Korea in several generations.

13. Thought it was the Yanks thats sank Millions into Afghan in the 50/60s thought it was them that spent the cash in Nai-e-Ali building the Neb to get the spice crops up and runnig ?

14. That correct what is PB or is it now a FOB Shazad in CF Nad (N) was the HQ for the American - Afghan Construction Company until they left in the mid 70s. I have some pictures that I took during H10 of all the old disused plant that they left behind. If I wasn't such an IT mong I would have attached a few pictures for your pleasure.