"Afghanistan could take 40 years" - Incoming CGS

Front page of Saturday's Times newspaper leads with the "Afghanistan could take 40 years" headline.

Source: The Times

Britain’s mission in Afghanistan could last for up to 40 years, the next head of the Army warns today in an exclusive interview with The Times.

General Sir David Richards, who becomes Chief of the General Staff on August 28, said: “The Army’s role will evolve, but the whole process might take as long as 30 to 40 years.”

He emphasised that British troop involvement, currently 9,000-strong, should only be needed for the medium term, but insisted that there was “absolutely no chance” of Nato pulling out. “I believe that the UK will be committed to Afghanistan in some manner — development, governance, security sector reform — for the next 30 to 40 years,” he said.
Is he right?

I would be suprised if the UK government and public could go 40 months never mind 40 years.

Looking 40 years ahead what a joke, this quote “I believe that the UK will be committed to Afghanistan in some manner — development, governance, security sector reform"

Is that not a big problem today, we are deployed in Afghan in "some manner"

Wonderful! what foresight.

Another 40 years, not to bad when you think we started in 1841

Just what is the name of the Game in Afghanistan ?
Defeat of Al Quada ?
Defeat of the Taliban ?
Defeat of the Government of Afghanistan ?
Or are we committed and by whom to rebuild Afghanistan as a Democracy ?
john
Poor Tom & the UK Tax payer.

Look at it as job security.

40 years is a pretty realistic estimate in my opinion.

The UK Govt. should explain the mission more clearly though. Most British people and a shocking amount of service people have absolutely no idea why we are even in the country.

Wolf said:
40 years is a pretty realistic estimate in my opinion.
Indeed but we will need a lot more resources as most of our NATO chums won't make the distance nor will NATO.
Wolf said:
The UK Govt. should explain the mission more clearly though. Most British people and a shocking amount of service people have absolutely no idea why we are even in the country.
How does the song go...'we ere because we are 'ere, we 'ere because we are 'ere...

In 5 years time (or much earlier) theDesk jocky cds political animal will confirm that Afgahnistan is a country of corrupt people who want to live that life they had before the red commies tried to be helpfull(clever).

Only thing is this will be the third time the British army leave afgahnistan with thier tail between their legs.

Still, by then we, as in UK military forces will be under the control of some european appointed General, probable french. who no doubt not speek any Englaise.

ABrighter2006 said:
Front page of Saturday's Times newspaper leads with the "Afghanistan could take 40 years" headline.

Source: The Times

Britain’s mission in Afghanistan could last for up to 40 years, the next head of the Army warns today in an exclusive interview with The Times.

General Sir David Richards, who becomes Chief of the General Staff on August 28, said: “The Army’s role will evolve, but the whole process might take as long as 30 to 40 years.”

He emphasised that British troop involvement, currently 9,000-strong, should only be needed for the medium term, but insisted that there was “absolutely no chance” of Nato pulling out. “I believe that the UK will be committed to Afghanistan in some manner — development, governance, security sector reform — for the next 30 to 40 years,” he said.
Is he right?
The question should be "Is the spin doctor from No10 now in control of the MOD"?

He sounds like a dozy weatherman, who says " anything can happen but we expect only rain with the occasional sunshine".

You read and quickly pass the "anything can happen" without a thought because you want to here the expected weather forcast!

In one way or another there probably will be troops there in 40 years time either as advisors or some other way.

We are a small country with limited resources and unable to afford to keep the level of troops there for that amount of time. With the increased level of debt and a future aging population there is no way we will be able to pay for that.

The gubment and opposition should come out and explain the mission more clearly. They are lucky at the moment as the population is supporting the troops out there, but I personally think this will start to wain if it is going to be a protracted campaign.

Quote from the torygraph acticle:
"Britain still defines herself by prowess in war. I think that there has been only one year in the history of the United Kingdom when we have not lost a serviceman in combat. We have been uniquely active."

And I feel this is where both main political parties have been trying to ensure this country stays at the top table. So perhaps it is about time that the ruling gubment (whoever it is at the time) when things like Afghanistan etc, should come up say we have done our bit and let someone else take their turn.

johnboyzzz said:
We are a small country with limited resources and unable to afford to keep the level of troops there for that amount of time. With the increased level of debt and a future aging population there is no way we will be able to pay for that.
Au contraire. Gordo can afford anything he wants quite easily by simply reducing spending elsewhere. You didn't actually believe for a moment that it was your money he was spending, did you? ;)

skintboymike said:
johnboyzzz said:
Au contraire. Gordo can afford anything he wants quite easily by simply reducing spending elsewhere. You didn't actually believe for a moment that it was your money he was spending, did you? ;)
Damn it is Saturday and early and had my reasonable head on or have I just been wahed :wink:

So the next two generations of soldier, (assuming they have a 22 year career), will be on/off Afghan tourtastic!

There's a recruiting and retention incentive if I ever saw one.

Shame we only have enough resources for another 4.

Latest Threads