Afghanistan: Behind Enemy Lines - Dispatches C4 8PM Tonight

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dangerousdave, Feb 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While most new troops stationed in Afghanistan head to the volatile south of the country, a new frontline, operating almost under the radar of NATO, is encircling the north of the country.

The insurgents are aiming to take over the countryside surrounding the towns and cities and to block the main supply route, the Kunduz-Baghlan road, which services coalition troops across much of Afghanistan since the traditional route through Pakistan became too treacherous.

Dispatches goes inside the enemy camp in northern Afghanistan as award-winning Afghan reporter Najibullah Quraishi is granted access to an army of extreme Islamic combatants.

Quraishi spent almost two weeks with the Central Group of fighters, known to be among the most dangerous and fanatical factions involved in the war, with Chechens, Arabs and other foreign fighters in their ranks and with close links to Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden. He captures their leisure time, training and planning and accompanies them on an operation targeting the Afghan army.

In this clip from Afghanistan: Behind Enemy Lines, a leader of a group of Afghan insurgents explains how fighters join his operation which is targeting NATO and other forces in the north of the country.
  2. I'm looking forward to this, it looks utterly fascinating. It follows Hizb-i-slami rather than the Taliban proper, I think.
  3. I'll watch this with interest. Could be a real eye opener.
  4. Watching it right now...
  5. In a way it made the taliban look like muppets. They certainly aren't in Helmand.
  6. I was thouroughly impressed with that. I dare say their ambush might not have got a Pass if it was a command apointment at Brecon but they were entertaining to watch.

It was quite weird watching a road side ambush from the red teams point of view to be honest. Even if comms did go down, the weather fcuked up the line of sight and command and control all went a bit wibble when the cut off missed with his RPG... No plan survives contact with the enemy I suppose!

Good show. I hope some useful intelligence has been gained from it.

Oh and I hope their boss doesn't watch it and see that they lied in their patrol report. :D
  7. A brave piece of journalism indeed! I saw this last night and have just watched it again. The ambush was a deffo Freddie Fail, and the fibbing to the boss was brazen. They didnt hang about when the fire came back at them either, this lot are clearly not afraid to be martyred!
    Oh and when they have finished with us in Afg, they are coming to Europe, straight from the horses mouth.
  8. I liked the fact that Allah supplied the cakes (even though they were only 5 Rupees - it's the thought that counts)
  9. I got the impression it was very carefully staged to make it look that way?
  10. thanks to the original poster for this, looks interesting!! :D
  11. I liked the bit about some of the "fighters" not coming as they didn't like the cold.
  12. Probably why so many stay in the south over the winter period such as Helmand and Kandahar.
  13. There are some very naughty spots up near Kunduz, especially the junctions around Aliabad and Khanabad, in fact most places in that whole triangle are red hot most of the time, its not the easiest of places to box round either and its dicker central, its a 1 in 3 every time you head up and down that route.

Brilliant programme, I was glad he got the nudge to pufo by the Commander
  14. When he said that, someone quickly corrected it to 'Afghanis'. I wonder if that's evidence of him growing up/spending time in Pakistan?