afghanistan background.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by misterp, Apr 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just been looking on amazon for a book about the rough history of afghan

anyone recomend anything?

im trying to be a bit more 'edumicated' before going on tour!

2. msr

msr LE

3. I haven't read this yet but went to a talk she gave recently at the National Army Museum which was fascinating! She told us about getting caught in an ambush when she was with 2 Para which sounded particularly terrifying - I remember reading her report on the front page of the Sunday Times and couldn't decide if she was mad or daft following such a dangerous assignment

4. She is certainly a character, I love this quote:

5. Again not exactly history but first one is a classic.

A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby, first published in 1958 then reissued possibly in the 80s.

Afghanistan - Travels with the Mujahideen by Sandy Gall. Sandy visited in 1986 to track down Ahmed Shah Masud, the influential commander of the Afghan resistance. Margaret Thatcher wrote the foreword.

For historical background try God's Terrorists - The Wahhabi Cult and the Hidden Roots of Modern Jihad by Charles Allen. Heavy going to start with, I got confused by all the similar sounding names, but Allen is extremely knowledgable and although the book is complex it provides a fascinating read, well worth persevering with.