Afghanistan-bacha bazi

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It's all that bending.

I am not a journalist but documenting this practice. There's a lot around but mostly anecdotal. I am interested in tips, ideas and practical suggestions on how to go about it. Discussions on grounds of complete anonymity.
Join 3 para mortars

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
@OP
Firstly, my tuppence-worth, just in case you're on the level, but I don't think you are. The BBC did a radio documentary on this, called "The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan," found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02rtc2k

Or All4's documentary, here: The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan - All 4

It was illuminating, certainly enough to know you're on a hiding to nothing. You may as well try to stop UK youths going night-clubbing.

Secondly, I don't believe you. A quick google search doesn't reveal any information about your "All Survivors Project." There's a similarly named scheme, but not exactly the same. Any fool can set up a gmail or hotmail account.

You state the following:

"If there wasn't a conflict, the US wouldn't have created, trained, funded and supported the ALP and perpetrators would be ordinary men in power."

Sounds to me, like you have an anti-military agenda. It's almost as if you're blaming US military intervention on this despicable practice which has gone on for centuries before the US was even formed.

Thirdly, your "two decades" of experience doesn't jibe with your incredibly naive views. I would've pegged your age at around 18 based on your youthful optimism and "right on" credentials.

You have zero chance of effecting any change in that region. Zero. If the world's biggest army can't change anything, what on earth do you think you will be able to do? Raise awareness? No one cares.

Get real, these people are savages. They reject modernity and enlightenment and would laugh in your face, before taking you by the hand into their cave for a little twenty on one bum fun.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Don't think you'll hear much more from Hoggwash, he was either a sock or a cunt.

Or answer C.

Don't think you'll hear much more from Hoggwash, he was either a sock or a ****.

Or answer C.
@OP
Firstly, my tuppence-worth, just in case you're on the level, but I don't think you are. The BBC did a radio documentary on this, called "The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan," found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02rtc2k

Or All4's documentary, here: The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan - All 4

It was illuminating, certainly enough to know you're on a hiding to nothing. You may as well try to stop UK youths going night-clubbing.

Secondly, I don't believe you. A quick google search doesn't reveal any information about your "All Survivors Project." There's a similarly named scheme, but not exactly the same. Any fool can set up a gmail or hotmail account.

You state the following:

"If there wasn't a conflict, the US wouldn't have created, trained, funded and supported the ALP and perpetrators would be ordinary men in power."

Sounds to me, like you have an anti-military agenda. It's almost as if you're blaming US military intervention on this despicable practice which has gone on for centuries before the US was even formed.

Thirdly, your "two decades" of experience doesn't jibe with your incredibly naive views. I would've pegged your age at around 18 based on your youthful optimism and "right on" credentials.

You have zero chance of effecting any change in that region. Zero. If the world's biggest army can't change
anything, what on earth do you think you will be able to do? Raise awareness? No one cares.

Get real, these people are savages. They reject modernity and enlightenment and would laugh in your face, before taking you by the hand into their cave for a little twenty on one bum fun.

[/QUOTE

You are right. The project is not up yet. I will share a link when it is. I don't make things up.
I can keep repeating I don't have any agenda other than to try to begin a process to question and end this practice in Afghanistan and elsewhere. You are not going to believe me. Frankly, I came to this site because one of your colleagues said that 'some decent people who were appalled by what they saw may help you'. Some of you have been helpful and thoughtful for which I am grateful.

I suspect within 2-3 weeks of arriving in Helmand in 2006 British personnel will have noticed this phenomenon.

I also suspect that in Jan 1980 Soviet conscripts will have also noticed it and before them the Soviet advisers in the 70's.

I'm willing to bet money in the 1950s US engineers working on the HAVA project will have seen it also.

GWOT has nothing to do with it. It is a savage country with savage peoples. Have a look at Pashtunwali to understand how fcuked up just one of the tribes is. As I said, savage.

So I hear.
I take all your points about conflict not being a causative factor, being endemic and steeped in cultural acceptance. But aside from the few young individuals who consent to this, I would say given a choice, kids wouldn't want this in their lives.
Again we come back to cultural issues. In that part of the world, little Ahmed is a burden to his family until he starts earning his own keep.

Think medieval Europe.

You want to help afghans, try the tried and tested route of reducing infant mortality, promoting the economy and education and develop the country.

You come across as the type of person who is more worried about flaking paint on a window frame when the house is on fire.

You've still failed to address the deep routes cultural issues throughout a whole portion of the world.

Did you bother reading clash of civilisations?

Again we come back to cultural issues. In that part of the world, little Ahmed is a burden to his family until he starts earning his own keep.

Think medieval Europe.

You want to help afghans, try the tried and tested route of reducing infant mortality, promoting the economy and education and develop the country.

You come across as the type of person who is more worried about flaking paint on a window frame when the house is on fire.

You've still failed to address the deep routes cultural issues throughout a whole portion of the world.

Did you bother reading clash of civilisations?
I don't agree with Huntington and don't have to justify my choices to you.
Equally medieval with the football abuse I say. The difference is that some brave individuals have opened the lid, others have come forward. There is some support.
I want to help those who suffer abuse. Afghan boys are one of them.

You know fcuk all about your target set. You have spent years in this industry but are worryingly naive/stupid. I think you're lying about your background. I find it impossible to believe that with aid agencies active in Afghanistan since the 60's, no one has noticed the systematic rape going on around them.

Or comes to a 'squaddie' forum to ask as they don't know where to look for in depth papers that have already been written on the subject in the US and Europe by military and civvies alike.

No one is that stupid. Good wind up, well played!

I don't agree with Huntington and don't have to justify my choices to you.
Equally medieval with the football abuse I say. The difference is that some brave individuals have opened the lid, others have come forward. There is some support.
Then get yourself on a flight to Kandahar. You can catch an easy flight from Dubai, they run regularly.

Good luck to you and your fellow merry band of naive friends for embarking on such a brace undertaking.

Just remember though, fit every do holder that gets into trouble, some poor sod always gets killed rescuing them.

No, you're right. @CanteenCowboy referenced at the beginning of his post which sounded very similar to a USMC paper put out there regarding the subject. The one I'm thinking of referenced young boys and police, young boys and truck drivers (for ISAF), STIs amongst ISAF LEC terps. I would have emailed it to myself as it was unclass but I realised I didn't give a sh1t.

Had I realised I could bait a m0ng with it years later, I would have made an effort...

If there wasn't a conflict, the US wouldn't have created, trained, funded and supported the ALP and perpetrators would be ordinary men in power. The fact that perpetrators belong to a party to the conflict and boys are used for multiple functions in the conflict turns a domestic crime (cultural practice) into a conflict related human rights violation
So what your saying is
This goes on, we all know this goes on, its been going on since before Pontious got his wings. But now you intend to prove that because Our** nations have in recent years trained Afghan soldiers its all Our** fault - cue Phil Shiners lot*** and compo claims.

**By our I mean the West.
*** But not Phil himself (snigger)

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You should probably listen to those on this thread who have been to Afghanistan and seen it happen. Every one of them is telling you that there's nothing you can do to help and you'll be completely wasting your time, at best. At worst you'll get yourself or someone else killed.

You know fcuk all about your target set. You have spent years in this industry but are worryingly naive/stupid. I think you're lying about your background. I find it impossible to believe that with aid agencies active in Afghanistan since the 60's, no one has noticed the systematic rape going on around them.

Or comes to a 'squaddie' forum to ask as they don't know where to look for in depth papers that have already been written on the subject in the US and Europe by military and civvies alike.

No one is that stupid. Good wind up, well played!
Everybody knows about it, nobody wants to do anything about it. Why? UNICEF is not allowed out of their compound; UNAMA relies on AIHRC staff who are too scared to report; national NGOs need to survive; it's not a priority for humanitarians; there's no clear advocacy for intl human rights orgs. There's a collective hands-off approach because it's too hard to do anything as there's no access, too complex because it's linked to security, culturally entrenched therefore considered impossible to uproot; facilitated by poverty and the need for families to secure whatever benefit can from benefactors; socially accepted as the victims are poor, weak, vulnerable.
Did you know three ALP commanders in Tirin kot who have multiple bachas were themselves bachas? It's a cycle of abuse.
UNAMA as you prob know are working on getting it criminalised. That's not going to make any diff, nobody's going to report it, nobody will get caught.
So I suppose we shouldn't continue to expose it, because it won't make any difference. For 10 years the UN has been mentioning 2-3 cases per year saying it's hugely under reported. No in depth papers have been written with any specifics. No perpetrator has been named.
I came to a squaddie site because one of your colleagues thought that some of you may feel strongly about it and be willing to support this naive exercise.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
You should probably listen to those on this thread who have been to Afghanistan and seen it happen. Every one of them is telling you that there's nothing you can do to help and you'll be completely wasting your time, at best. At worst you'll get yourself or someone else killed.
me being old, I tend to listen to people and make up my own mind, but one thing I have learnt, when 30 different people that I speak to all tell me the same thing is going on, then its true
they cannot all have been brainwashed to state the same
and these people have been there in different places, and different situations and oddly all report the place as being in the 6th century BC
I do believe that our courts and judicial system work along similar lines

Latest Threads