Afghanistan-bacha bazi

I came to a squaddie site because one of your colleagues thought that some of you may feel strongly about it and be willing to support this naive exercise.
I think you'll find the British army have done enough supporting naive exercises in Afghanistan thanks.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There's a collective hands-off approach because it's too hard to do anything as there's no access, too complex because it's linked to security, culturally entrenched therefore considered impossible to uproot; facilitated by poverty and the need for families to secure whatever benefit can from benefactors; socially accepted as the victims are poor, weak, vulnerable.
Did you know three ALP commanders in Tirin kot who have multiple bachas were themselves bachas? It's a cycle of abuse.
UNAMA as you prob know are working on getting it criminalised. That's not going to make any diff, nobody's going to report it, nobody will get caught.
So I suppose we shouldn't continue to expose it, because it won't make any difference. For 10 years the UN has been mentioning 2-3 cases per year saying it's hugely under reported. No in depth papers have been written with any specifics. No perpetrator has been named.
It's good that you've got all that off your chest, but what on earth do you think you'll be able to do about it given these issues?

The reason nobody here is being supportive is because it's a fools errand.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
There's a collective hands-off approach because it's too hard to do anything as there's no access, too complex because it's linked to security, culturally entrenched therefore considered impossible to uproot; facilitated by poverty and the need for families to secure whatever benefit can from benefactors; socially accepted as the victims are poor, weak, vulnerable.
Yep. All true.

There was a time when we used to stop stuff like this, if it offended enough British people, but doing so involved escalating up to shooting people and fighting (and winning) the ensuing conflicts: it's a grim irony that we can't protect the human rights of Afghan dancing boys/catamites in that traditional (and reasonably effective - we got the Indians to stop burning widows alive, didn't we?) manner, because that would lead to the soldiers who saved them, being charged with war crimes for violating the human rights of their abusers and the footsoldiers they had to fight.

It's good that you've got all that off your chest, but what on earth do you think you'll be able to do about it given these issues?

The reason nobody here is being supportive is because it's a fools errand.
Since you are all experts and I haven't yet visited you prob know that some very small initiatives have begun. Safe houses with medical support and the like. These could be multiplied but it needs more exposure-real exposure. Not half baked, "we know a lot more is going on but can't get information because we can't get there, or can't verify"

You must also know there are some accountability efforts. Not much evidence on this yet. Individuals can be singled out and potentially their units can be unfunded. That has to be accompanied by protective efforts.

Some local orgs will do very low key community work, with village elders in raising awareness, public consciousness provided they are supported. Shining the light on this issue (again) will open up support for smaller orgs operating within communities.

There are a lot more smaller initiatives. Agree nothing radical is possible. Afg most complex in all the countries.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Since you are all experts and I haven't yet visited you prob know that some very small initiatives have begun. Safe houses with medical support and the like. These could be multiplied but it needs more exposure-real exposure. Not half baked, "we know a lot more is going on but can't get information because we can't get there, or can't verify"

You must also know there are some accountability efforts. Not much evidence on this yet. Individuals can be singled out and potentially their units can be unfunded. That has to be accompanied by protective efforts.

Some local orgs will do very low key community work, with village elders in raising awareness, public consciousness provided they are supported. Shining the light on this issue (again) will open up support for smaller orgs operating within communities.

There are a lot more smaller initiatives. Agree nothing radical is possible. Afg most complex in all the countries.
I wish you well if you visit
you will be in for a life enriching experience
make sure you write your will before hand !

Did I just see raising awareness as an effective strategy ?

As an example, a car hits someone badly injuring them , the guy that says oh wow did you see that ? He's raising awareness.

It's all mealy mouthed and useless just like a lot of NGO's

Do you think that people in Afghanistan aren't aware of their boys getting fucked then ?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Did I just see raising awareness as an effective strategy ?

As an example, a car hits someone badly injuring them , the guy that says oh wow did you see that ? He's raising awareness.

It's all mealy mouthed and useless just like a lot of NGO's

Do you think that people in Afghanistan aren't aware of their boys getting fucked then ?
Hoggwash is like, so aware.