Afghanistan as it once was

I wonder what Afghanistan would look like if the West had not funded the Mujahidin, undermining the USSR's efforts to modernise and develop Afghanistan… ?
Afghan is now a country ruled by a few really wealthy people in control of the poverty stricken masses, supported by a corrupt police and judicial system. It is plagued by violent Islamic fundamentalist violence. You'd probably have to have big nuts or a death wish to be an open opponent of the regime.

Good job the Russians never had time to mould it in their own image. Oh, hang on a minute.....................................

I dont think we were giving Stinger missiles away when Russia was attempting to take control, I doubt very much China, Russia via Iran are giving what they have away by way of retaliation.

Money and Politics equals tears

I wonder what Afghanistan would look like if the West had not funded the Mujahidin, undermining the USSR's efforts to modernise and develop Afghanistan… ?
Probably the only post I've agreed with you on. Having spent 2 months in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan I can see the effects of soviet 'wealth' driving 'progress' and to be honest it made me respect the fact that mother Russia (however evil) must have gone without in order to drag these backward, shitty little places out of the stone age.

Tajikistan is seen as one of the poorest 'stans due to the civil war but it is a reminder of what Afghanistan could have been. Kabul, when I finally got there, reminded me of the poorer parts of Dushanbe.

'Them'

Old-Salt
That is Kabul as it once was. Kabul isn't really a reflection of Afghanistan.
Very true. The city folk were all modern but not the religious folk and the peasant's, who were all against this modernization.Their going bonkers made the Soviets go bonkers and then we all know what happened.

TJF

Swinger
The place is a shithole. It's always been a shithole and it will always be a shithole. God help anyone unfortunate enough to live there.

If God were to give the world an enema Kabul is where he'd stick the ****ing tube.
or maybe Liverpool

Last edited:

Latest Threads