Afghanistan as it once was

Those photos have appeared here on ARRSE before. I remember the record shop and the Jeep. Daily Fail may have been palg...plagur... copying stuff.

The place is a shithole. It's always been a shithole and it will always be a shithole. God help anyone unfortunate enough to live there.

If God were to give the world an enema Kabul is where he'd stick the ****ing tube.

That is Kabul as it once was. Kabul isn't really a reflection of Afghanistan.
Theres elements of it in all of the big city's such as MeS, Kanadahar etc. just a pity that most if the afghan population are peasant farmers who like living in the Stone Age.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

Did the buses have one door for women and one for men, like our schools used to do?

I've just finished reading The Kite Runner, which I would rate as excellent. The description of the life of a wealthy man's son in 1970s Afghanistan just seems inconceivable when compared with the country we know today. The book charts the sad fall of that nation to it's present state, via the Russian invasion and the rise of the Talibs.

Something that strikes a familiar chord with a 20th Century European war is the initial mood of rejoicing when the Taliban arrive and displace the feuding warlords that terrorised the ordinary citizens. Think of those nations annexed by Uncle Joe Stalin's USSR, and how they welcomed the invading Nazis as liberators, only to fully appreciate the true meaning of the phrase 'Be careful what you wish for....'

chosen

Old-Salt
I read the Kite Runner on holiday a few years ago in Pnom Penh. Makes me think I must have an attraction for crumbling 3rd world cities, where people get bummed by bad guys.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Yup agree with Falls...Kabul ain't Afghanistan. Not much conservative Pushtuns in Kabul. More the wealthy, and metropolitan that soon forget their religion, and that any capital attracts who want a bit of the Western entertainment, music, and technology to show off with. Of course there was also the US presence in the 50's when they tried to industrialise the natural resources on a grand scale that would have influenced mindsets, outlooks and hairstyles, before the mad mulla's came to the fore.

I read the Kite Runner sat in Sangin DC in the summer of 2006. I thought it was a superb book.

F

Flash Back

I wonder what Afghanistan would look like if the West had not funded the Mujahidin, undermining the USSR's efforts to modernise and develop Afghanistan… ?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

chosen

Old-Salt
I wonder what Afghanistan would look like if the West had not funded the Mujahidin, undermining the USSR's efforts to modernise and develop Afghanistan… ?
Don't know. How did Communism work out for everyone else who the Soviets ruled over?

It'd probably be no different than it is now.

I think it's safe to say it could be no worse.

When you think about it the Cold War was probably a far greater disaster for most of the world than either of the two full-on shooting wars were. Both sides were utterly uncaring about how frankly evil their proxies were provided they confounded the opposition and so we had fifty years of evil sod fighting evil sod from Chile to Afghanistan and no thought for the great majority who suffered as a result.
What's worse is I fear that DPRK aside the Western proxies have probably contributed to far more misery than the Communist ones.

More Soviet style flats in the cities

Latest Threads