Afghan slaying of teenage girl

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Kybosh, Nov 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afghan police have arrested two men accused of beheading a teenage girl with a knife in northern Kunduz province, officials say.

Prior to the attack, the girl's father had rejected a marriage proposal for his daughter.

"Our investigation shows those who killed her were people who wanted to marry her," police told the BBC.

Earlier this month, four policemen were jailed for 16 years for raping a young woman in the same province.

In the latest incident, the girl, who was about 14 years old, was carrying drinking water from a nearby well to her house in Imam Sahib district when she was attacked on Monday.

"People were harassing the family and asking for her hand. When she refused, they did this to her," a police official told the BBC.

Senior Afghan officials and local tribal elders said the two suspects were close relatives of the girl.

The father had not wanted his daughter to get married because she was "too small to be engaged", he was quoted as saying by the Pajhwok news agency.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes. Roll on end-2014.

3. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

There was a chance to sort these ******* out in 2001, we didn't take it.

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

What is odd about this is that it's got to the news. This happens all the time, and worse, in Afgh, Pakistan, and many other countries suffering from tribalism, primitive religions, and rampant corruption.

5. I'm guessing it's the old, 'this is why we're there' pre-Christmas booster for Joe Public.

6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

'Wanted to marry her'? Gosh they have a strange way of showing their lurrve.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fu2

fu2 LE

Nothing works better than going down on one knee and saying "marry me or I´ll cut your head off"

8. How the **** could you cut someones head off unless you were deranged.......oh wait.

9. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

I found it was never as public as in Iraq, in Iraq common to find dead bodies of young girls who had committed some 'transgression' against an accepted code of behaviour and had paid the ultimate price for her family's "honour"! But I never really witnessed this in Afghanistan, but then again of two tours only once did I see an Afghan women at face (!) level, normally saw the flash of bright colour running away as we approached or our helo flew overhead and they ran indoors (WTF??).

After the age of about ten you never saw the Afghan girls in my experience. And as I have posted elsewhere, one of our terps told us that he had attended his brothers wedding 15 years before but had NEVER actually met his sister in law!! But was quite willing to accept responsibility for her if his brother died and take her into his home..........

10. Just to have a peek?

11. No chance. You could throw resources at that shithole for decades and never change the mindset of people who think it is normal to hack off the head of a young lass for saying no. Barbarians. Get the fcuk out and leave them to it.*

*Until sometime in the future when another bunch of feckless Politicians (who will never have to face the repercussions), send us back. Repeat over the centuries.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

After the most recent incident of 'green on blue' when Capt Barrie was killed, I saw a quote, unfortunately I can't find it to link to it, from an un-named British Officer, who said basically that the whole country, after 30 years of war has a case of PTSD and see killing as normal even for a minor matter.

13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Change "30 years of war" to 1,200 years of war" and I agree. It is a 'culture' (as in the stuff that makes yoghurt-type-of-culture, not as in Ancient Greek culture, apart from the common interest in raping boys) that is built on violence as a first, second and third resort. Tribal elders may on occasion discuss things, but the answer is uausally a pretty brutal one, no matter what the question.

• Like Like x 4