Afghan SAS Terp denied asylum because Taliban hadn't dated his death threat?

Early this morning R4 ran a news story about an Afghan Interpreter who had been denied asylum in the U.K. because his death threat from the Taliban hadn't been dated.

It was pretty weird. Matey boy claimed to have been SF, as well as an interpreter. But his English was crap, practically unworkable. The basic story was however, indeed that UK border people had challenged him because his death threat from the Taliban hadn't been supplied with a date so it couldn't be substantiated.

It all rang of total bollocks - claiming to be SAS/SBS, having shit spoken english, and also having a token Lionel Hutz lawyer on the call.

I can't find mention of this at all on any BBC feed or Google any more - shite web drills on my part or were the BBC taken in by a chancer? In which case, have an embarassed BEeb pulled the story?

If the insurgents clerks can't get their paperwork in order then are they so very different to us?

If it is true he should stay - end of.

Yes its troo. The Taliban put infidels on a death threat mailing list now, to keep them on their toes.
I always make sure I've ticked the 'no' option for future mailing lists.

Everything he says is quite plausible. SF used local interpreters just like everyone else, and poor English was by no means unusual; perhaps the only people who bluffed language ability more than some of the weaker terps were our own cohort of corpulent FTRS majors on a DOLSU contract.

That said, I do wonder when the Taliban started using the current Islamic Republic of Afghanistan crest at the top of all their stationery.

Personally if I thought I might be on a hitlist I wouldn't want my face all over the news.

Call Saint Frederick Forsyth immediately!

The ****.

All LECs can and should potentially be considered for in-country or out-of-country assistance under the scheme - IF at special risk as a result of working for British forces.
I suspect that most of us would not disagree with that, in this case well only those who would have had real contact with him can say perhaps if he is genuine case.

All LECs can and should potentially be considered for in-country or out-of-country assistance under the scheme - IF at special risk as a result of working for British forces.
we had a few who we had to sack for a variety of reasons, mostly security related.
Mind you I expect they are not on the insurgents hit list (unless failure is an offence punishable by death of course)

Oh my god - Lord Ashdown, former leader of the Liberal Democrats, is involved in it now, we will never hear the end of this story

Archie
I'm sure Kempy, 'ex-Commander British Forces in Afghanistan' ;) is positively leaking at the chance to make comment as we type.

I'm sure Kempy, 'ex-Commander British Forces in Afghanistan' ;) is positively leaking at the chance to make comment as we type.
"Well you see I was a Colonel, and I happened to be a commander of British Forces in Afghanistan, and the thing that you have to remember when you are a commander of British Forces in Afghanistan, which I happened to be, is that sometimes those in the positions of power, such as commander of British Forces in Afghanistan (like I was) have to make some very difficult calls about this sort of thing and I think that its outrageous and not the sort of behaviour that a commander of British Forces in Afghanistan (like me) should have taken part in, and if only all commanders of British Forces in Afghanistan (who werent like me when I was a commander of British Forces in Afghanistan) were as able and proper as I was when I was a commander of British Forces in Afghanistan then things would be better. If they'd listened to me when I was a commander of British Forces in Afghanistan, then future commanders of British Forces in Afghanistan wouldnt have had the same troubles and been almost as succesful as I was when I was a commander of British Forces in Afghanistan...

Meanwhile the slightly confused McDonalds assistant would simply reply "But Sir, I just wanted to know if you want fries with that"...

As Mr Pink noted the Taliban are not known for making their death threats on AFG government notepaper. What the BBC (if they ever considered employing actual journos) might have asked our bally hero protagonist is why if he believed the threat to be genuine, given it was directed at his family why his response was to abandon them and bugger off to Birmingham clinging to a lorry?

As Mr Pink noted the Taliban are not known for making their death threats on AFG government notepaper. What the BBC (if they ever considered employing actual journos) might have asked our bally hero protagonist is why if he believed the threat to be genuine, given it was directed at his family why his response was to abandon them and bugger off to Birmingham clinging to a lorry?
I doubt the visa ninjas have missed this hence the line of we don't swallow the letters are genuine. His story to a point may be true but if the applicant is trying to force the issue with lies, the visa mob will stamp down hard on it.
He broke the rules getting here, two years in the jungle for instance. Why did he not start communication with UK gov at that point. He did not as possibly he is a crafty sod and thought better to ask forgivness than permission?
Also being banged up is a red flag for a fight or flight risk if he is a supposed genuine terp with uk contacts.